Ominous.........

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by podsonic, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

2. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

That would make you want to JB even more, just so you can disable all that crap.

3. Jkazmeyer macrumors regular

I imagine by that point jail breaking will be the only way to disable all that nonsense, but I guarantee it will take them some time to break all those security measures. I'm sure they wouldn't release a jailbreak that apple could disable at will. I'm sure if there is any truth there, it's a ways off still....

4. podsonic thread starter macrumors member

I worry that Apple want so much control over the device, mind you, google are as bad with android

5. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

That sucks, for me that is too much controle. That would make me either want to jailbreak more or go buy another phone.

6. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-gb; Dell Streak Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

Some of that wording does seem worrying. It will be interesting to see what comes of this.

7. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Oh please no more conspiracy theories. Everything will be fine guys.

8. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

If Apple were evil, this would be a major concern. I think the point of the patent was to protect the data of people who have their iPhones stolen. We simply trust that Apple won't use its technology for nefarious purposes.

A bigger concern to me, though, is that if Apple can do this, someone else will figure out how to do it too. That could be extremely troublesome.

9. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

I love a good conspiracy theory and all, but there are several flaws here.

1) Killing an authorized user's device would run afoul of a great many laws here and around the world I would think.

2) Notice the patent talks about the Identification of hacked/jailbroken devices in reference to theives. As in, steal an iPhone, hack it to get it to work. Apple ID's it, and kills it.

3) IMHO, Apple doesn't care as much about jailbreakers as people think. If they did, it wouldn't take an average of 1.7 days for a new version of iOS to be hacked.

10. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Doesn't bother me at all. But then I'm not a conspirisist who sees evil in every corporation.

As stated above, what worries me more is people outside of Apple being able to do it. Jailbreakers are only a form of hakers who always wish to push the envelope to see what they can do to a piece of gear. Some would do it just to say they'd done it, but others would have darker motives. You could say, correctly, that I trust Apple more than I trust your average jailbreaker.

11. PetitBourgeois macrumors member

Apple has patented a lot of things that have never seen the light of day. Worry about it only if it actually gets implemented.

12. ddavid macrumors regular

Aren't these the same forums that complain bitterly when an iPhone is stolen and Apple says there is nothing they can do? They complain that Apple should call out the national guard, use a kill code, call CSI and activate Jack Baur in order to thwart thieves! Now that Apple is attempting to address this issue people are complaining about their possible methods.

There's no pleasing some people!