OmniGroup: No upgrade pricing on future updates when you buy from App Store

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Zeos, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Zeos macrumors 6502

During a phone call with OmniGroup (OmniFOcus, OmniPlan, etc.) on 2/10/11, they said that when I buy their apps from the App store, I will have to pay the FULL retail non-upgrade price for all future major upgrades. There will be no upgrade pricing option on the App Store and I will not be able to buy their boxed retail upgrade if the original was bought on the App Store. That would really stink. Is this an App Store issue or OmniGroup policy??

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Probably an app store policy, it wouldn't surprise me if Apple only gave them the option of pushing out the updates for free or charging everyone the same price.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Why didn't you ask them if it was an App store policy or their policy when you were on the phone with them?

This is one concern I've had with the App store myself. I don't care to pay full pricing on any software I choose to upgrade if I am a legitimate user of a previous version. I realize developers spend a great deal of time on their apps, but often upgrades don't warrant a full purchase price in my opinion.

4. Queso macrumors G4

It's an App Store issue. A few developers including OmniGroup have mentioned it already. The only way I can see them getting round it is to lower the initial price of the App Store version, but that obviously has consequences to their own online store.