OmniOutliner has just been submitted for review

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Project, May 5, 2011.

1. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Hallelujah!

This has been a LONG WAIT!

Although OmniFocus is good, I just don't 'think' that way. OmniOutliner lists match the way I want stuff organised much much better - so this is fantastic news!

2. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

3. reputationZed macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

As much as I like OmniGroups products it's a bit baffling why it took so long to release an outliner app. Hopefully the app breaks some new ground and will have been worth the wait.

I think the the iPad has forced OG to rethink it's approach to the user UI. Their OSX programs are fantastic in terms of functionality and stability, but are about as sexy as Garry Coleman. The iPad versions of Omni Graffle and Onmi Focus prove that Omni Group can knock a Jessica Alba out of the park without compromising the quality of the program.

4. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

There's a lot of functionality behind the scenes in OmniOutliner - but I agree with the gist of your comment. OmniGroup produce good stuff, but the narrative on their forums convinces me that their project management is lacking, they're too tech-led and they don't set themselves realistic deadlines.

It also annoys me that they seem to have a 'not invented here' attitude to some technologies. They've gone for their own syncing tech, rather than taking on board people's requests for Dropbox syncing. I hope they change their mind on this.

Agreed. I'm not much of an OmniGraffle user - but when it comes to OmniFocus, the iPad version is the best of all their platforms.

5. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

this is available now via the link to the app store on omnigroup.com

6. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

7. w00tini macrumors 6502a

8. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

Sure it is: Here.

I'm quite satisfied with it.

9. Blarneystone macrumors member

I was wondering about this app.. What is so extraordinary about it to command that price tag? Not asking to be rude, just need more convincing.

10. Kornum macrumors newbie

I was wondering exactly the same thing.
    Could someone who has bought and tested it perhaps give us a short review?

Or perhaps someone using the desktop version could explain what's so different and fantastic about it?

No rudeness intended here either.

11. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

An outline is just a hierarchical list. So it lets you list items, and then add detail to each of those items in the form of sub-items or notes.

Additionally, OmniOutliner is multi column... so your list can include amounts, that get totalled and summed up.

It's a great tool for any sort of project, whether that's something you need to get done at home, school or work. It's very easy to split down the tasks in a project - and to move items around.

OmniOutliner is particularly good, because it's high on ease of use and 'hidden power'. If you buy it, you might be a bit disappointed that it's 'just a list' - but there's a lot going on behind the scenes. It can be made quite pretty with all the font options - but equally can be used in a stripped down way.

It's an ideal tool to overcome procrastination... because it encourages you to organise and write down all the outstanding work you have to get done (which makes you feel more relaxed and less stressed about forgetting to do something). The hierarchical organisation then helps you break down tasks into small steps... and again this can help with procrastination because it helps you identify an easily achievable 'next action'.

So, if you're still wondering why you would need it then maybe you don't. But for people who like to think in lists... it's a great tool.