On 4.3.4 - restore from 4.3.3 backup?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by pit29, Jul 16, 2011.

1. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

Hi all,

I've got a small problem. I updated to 4.3.4 this morning and thought, well, I should install everything from scratch while I'm doing it. That actually resulted in me losing all text messages and a couple of pictures.

The last backup that has the messages and pics on it was done on 4.3.3. I cannot restore from this backup - it always ends after a couple of minutes with a nondescript error message. I have the 4.3.3 ipsw file but cannot load that on the iPhone - error message 20, "some process prevents it".

Any suggestions what I can do? Can I extract the text messages from the old backup and load them onto the 4.3.4 "clean install"? Same with the images?

Or is there a way to downgrade to 4.3.3, then restore from the last backup before the upgrade (assuming I cannot install a 4.3.3 backup on iOS 4.3.4)? What am I doing wrong that gets me the error message?

(I have a Time Machine backup, and a clone on an external, so the information should be there...)

I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions!

Best,
    Pit

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

You can only downgrade to a previous firmware if you saved the SHSH blobs.

3. alexreich macrumors 6502a

alexreich

Your data is lost unless you have a backup of the iPhone pre-update

You can't downgrade your iPhone to 4.3.3 unless you saved SHSH blobs for it with TinyUmbrella. Apple is still signing 4.3.3 (to my current knowledge anyways), if you really want to go back to 4.3.3 use that program.

But in reality, even if you downgrade your iPhone, all of your data is still gone. The only way to recover your texts, emails, notes, etc. is to restore a previous backup of your iPhone via iTunes. You can make a backup and restore backups by right clicking your iPhone in the iTunes window, and choosing the necessary task.

I'm sorry to hear that you lost all your info! I actually lost all of mine by syncing to my new Mac before adding my syncing preferences to it. I was able to recover them by booting a copy of my old computer via USB.

Good thing I had a disk image of my old computer :)

Let me know if you need help getting your stuff back (if possible).

-Alex :apple: