on a university network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by john2006wright, Dec 9, 2008.

1. john2006wright macrumors regular

Hi guys. I have just connected to my university network and in the "shared" menu in Finder I see a lot of computers that I can access and look in their shared folders and drop box. This is great especially if they have movies etc that I can borrow. Anyway, the problem is that the only computers I see are Macs. Now its great to see a lot of macs but where are all the PCs? I can't see my friends PCs so i can't share things with them.

What am I doing wrong? I played with the settings in Sharing under system prefs but no dice.

john

2. belvdr macrumors 601

It is against forum rules to discuss how to pirate/steal data.

3. Theophany macrumors 6502a

Theophany

Macs will share because they are nice to each other. The university network is not designed to allow sharing between machines so you'll find you can't access PC shared files and folders, but more than likely you'll be able to access shared iTunes libraries from PCs.

But hey, you know all that stuff is illegal and it's not my place to tell you. I hated it when people felt the need to tell me smoking kills before I quit.

4. belvdr macrumors 601

This doesn't make sense. How are machines nice or not nice? Are you talking Bonjour versus CIFS/SMB? Either way, if the machines are on the same subnet, this shouldn't be a problem, as most networks don't put highly restrictive policies on the edge switches.

Truth hurts, eh? We all have our issues.

5. iHavenolife macrumors member

dont even try to share stuff over those computers they have been cracking down on illegal file-sharing lately. they will find out..

6. Theophany macrumors 6502a

Theophany

Oh if I knew exactly what it was I'd say, but I don't. Bottom line is, I have the exact same situation here at the University of Exeter. I can access shares on ANY Mac on the network, but I can't see a single PC share, nor can my PC, curiously enough.

7. belvdr macrumors 601

Ha ha... :D That's interesting. It must be Bonjour allowing it to work. It is possible they secured the subnet so SMB/CIFS would be blocked, but what a major pain that would be.

8. john2006wright thread starter macrumors regular

what is a network for if not for accessing files on other computers. i never said the movies were copyright protected. We make lots of our own movies for university clubs etc. and I can't access them.
    I thought Macs were supposed to be able to "talk" to PCs "right out of the box". My PC friends are loving these limitations of my mac

9. Theophany macrumors 6502a

Theophany

Mac does work with PC out of the box. The problem lies with the network. Set up any network from scratch and the Mac will communicate with any PC easy - the PC won't be able to communicate with the Mac though, cannot read HFS+. Contact your network administrator about it.

10. belvdr macrumors 601

Over a network, the client does not see the server's filesystem, so HFS+ has nothing to do with it. I've networked both Mac and PC across the network to each other.

11. john2006wright thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, well thanks guys for thoughts. I've got an old PC laptop I can use, will have to dig it out.

john