On AT&T, does one MMS = 4 SMS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SimpsonsFan007, Jun 10, 2009.

1. SimpsonsFan007 macrumors member

Hey guys, if this has been posted before, let me know and with my apologies I will lock this. I didn't see anything answering this question when I searched, however.

I noticed in reading up on the UK carrier O2 that the MMS text messages count as four texts on their plans, which is stated as being the norm for O2, not just for the iPhone with O2... Is that typically the case for AT&T for their messaging plans as well? MMS counts as four texts on their plans?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

2. superxero3 macrumors regular

i have not heard anything like this on AT&T. I'm on a family plan with the unlimited family texting plan, and both SMS and MMS count as 1 "message". I do not know how this affects people without a texting plan (pay per text).

3. SimpsonsFan007 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for weighing in. I ask this because I'm looking at texting plans to add on to my new 3GS when my wife and I switch over from Sprint next week. I was just curious if I got, say, the 1500 texts a month plan (or if I'm able to use the TMB9 code or whatever it was for 750 texts a month), if MMS's would count as multiple "messages" in the countdown of what I've used.

Thanks again for that input - anyone else have some?

4. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

It's a good question. We may well not know until AT&T actually figures out MMS for the iPhone.

Here's some info from AT&Ts site about general MMS, although it doesn't clearly answer your question.

http://www.wireless.att.com:80/learn/messaging-internet/messaging/faq.jsp

Hope that helps.

5. wahoo10 macrumors 6502

I know I used to have a plan (pre-iPhone days/my simple life) that was 200 texts and 100 MMSes. But with the iPhone being so popular, I'm sure they're going to either work something out to our advantage (1 MMS=1 text, and unlimited texting plans=unlimited MMS) or totally screw people over (you have to buy a texting plan AND a MMS plan or something)

6. G4R2 macrumors 6502a

I'm not going to install 3.0 until the final release but perhaps an indication of what ATT's policy will be is reflected in the SMS application itself.

How does the app distinguish between composing a regular text message and a MMS? Are both composed within the same interface?

7. SimpsonsFan007 thread starter macrumors member

I emailed the CSR that helped my wife and me yesterday, so I'll update this thread if/when he gets back to me.

8. racers macrumors regular

Its in the same app there is a camera button on the side of the keyboard

9. exhibit.b macrumors regular

I can confirm that MMS only counts as one message.

[​IMG]