On ATT can you have two different phones on same # ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Darthdingo, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

I am not very happy with Sprint currently. I have the Nexus-S 4G, and it is a great phone, had the EVO 4G before that, just that Sprint service is horrible indoors, and down load speeds on 3G are like 200k/sec and 4G is a HUGE battery killer, and be lucky to get 2mb/sec. And then being a CDMA radio you can't do data and voice at the same time, and for business having both comes in handy sometimes.

I am thinking of going back to ATT possibly, and back to the iPhone, would get the i5 next month, but I also like to tinker and develop with Android for fun, and might also get the ATT Galaxy S2. My question is, does ATT still use SIM cards, and if so can I just go back and forth between the iPhone5 and Galaxy S2 on ATT with the same SIM card, just take it out and pop in either phone I want to use that day ?

Or does it not work like that ?

2. Tones2 macrumors 65816

If you sign up for the iPhone data plan, then yes, you can swap sim cards with an android phone, assuming you have a micro-sim adapter. You can't go the other way though, meaning you can;t sign up for a normal non-iPhone data plan and then use it on an iPhone.

Tony

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yes, at&t still uses sim cards. And yes, just pop out the sim card from your iPhone and put it in your Galaxy S2 and it will work just fine. I do that when I go snowboarding and don't want to risk my iPhone.

4. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Anyone in the Chicago_land area on ATT ? Last iPhone I owned was the 3G like three years ago, and I thought ATT service back then sucked pretty hard, the reason I switched. But have heard the last couple of years that ATT has upgraded their network in the big city areas, and gotten better, is that true ?

Their family plan is now close to that of the good one on Sprint, and if service is good for Chicago I will go back, and be happier on a GSM network.

5. Tones2 macrumors 65816

It's better but it's still not great in some of the very congested areas in the actual inner city, like in Lincoln Park, Lincoln Square, Depaul area, and around Wrigley when there is a ballgame. Most areas away from the inner city are fine, including the suburbs. Sundays seem particularly bad for at&t in the city, for some reason.

Tony

6. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the input, that is bad and good news for me, a lot of my clients are in the Wrigleyville neighborhood, but also in the south suburbs where Sprint is horrible. My Parents and Sister both live in Orland Park, and Sprint is almost a dead zone not working in their area at all, but ATT is fine there.

I tried T-Mobile before and they blow, and not even sure they getting the iPhone, and Verizon I here is the best in Chicago, but you pay through the nose on a family plan, just ridiculous pricing, plus I rather go back to a GSM network for voice/date.

7. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Anyone else here have both an iPhone and an Android device you switch back and forth too, on the same SIM card with same phone # ?

8. sbddude macrumors 6502a

I have a Inspire and iphone. I started with the iphone and had to switch to a "4g smartphone data" plan. Once on that, i can switch back and forth at will with no plan changes.

I don't use visual voicemail, so I can't comment on that. (google voice).