On Average, how long will a MBP last?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by OceanView, Jan 29, 2008.

1. OceanView macrumors 65816

Functionally how many years of use can I get out of my MBP before it breaks down and repair is not economical?

I have had my IBM ThinkPad for over 8 years and its still running although a little slow compared to my MBP.

2. zirkle2007 macrumors 6502

zirkle2007

Well, if Apple keeps the same quality control as they did when they made G3s and G4s, which is probably debatable, then it should last a good while. A lot of people still have G4s they use every day and are still going strong! Really you'll probably want a new one before you'll actually need one. Or at least most people do.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I know people that still use circa 2000 PowerBook G3 Pismos.

4. ArmyKnight12 macrumors 6502

ArmyKnight12

5. zirkle2007 macrumors 6502

zirkle2007

Same here! If only technology would stop progressing! :p

6. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

College student on G4. If I had no other uses besides what I need to be a student, I could easily keep this for 3 more years. That said, the hard drive and battery **** the bed and had to be replaced this summer.

So...6 years?

7. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Barring hardware breakdowns, most modern computers should last several (5+) years with care.

8. Twe Foju macrumors 6502

Twe Foju

im planning to use my MBP for at least 4 years from nowbefore changing into the next gen MBP

even if it;s still on a good condition after 4 years :p

9. OceanView thread starter macrumors 65816

I usually keep my computers even if I upgrade to a new one as I don't like to sell my used computers. Instead I place them in my rooms through the house so that I can always have internet access or use them as a jukebox to play music.

Unless there are some significant upgrades in software that require me to upgrade, I am hoping that I could get 5-6 years of use from my MBP.

10. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Depends how you use it.

Gamers will find that the MBP is crap after a new graphic card comes out.

Pro Audio people may load so many instruments that they need a new mbp.

Depends on your use. If you update the OS every time and the apps too, 3-4 years.

11. OceanView thread starter macrumors 65816

None of those.
    Mainly use it for internet, e-mail, word processing, spreadsheet, itunes, etc.

12. heatmiser macrumors 68020

You can do all of that on a G3 iBook, and those are 5 years old. Ditto with a G4 TiBook. Those are up to 7 years old, and people still use them. If you just need your computer to do basic workhorse stuff, it will basically last as long as the hardware holds together. As you can see in a thread here, a sizeable fraction of folks plan to keep their computers for several years. I'm personally interested in seeing if my Macbook can last me through at least 5 years of grad school.

13. Twe Foju macrumors 6502

Twe Foju

not really

8600GT can last at least another 2 or 3 years before maybe like GeForce 9 series family comes out, then i would call 8600 outdated by then

since they already support DirecX10, so i dont think it's crap :D

14. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

I babied the crap out of my G3 Wallstreet Powerbook and it lasted about 7 years. I got tired of it not having wifi so I sold it.

15. DubOverdose macrumors member

I'm on a G4 1.5ghz Powerbook 1gig RAM (nearly 4yrs old). It still runs like new. The only hardware that's failed was the HD, but that was covered by Apple Care...and I never shut down my computer so it'd been spinning for nearly 3 years when it went. It'll last for years to come, but I'd like a MBP to dual boot, isight, leopard (without paying for the upgrade disc), etc. I've stopped spending money on this computer so I can put money towards a MBP.

16. joe8232 macrumors regular

Well I am on a Revision 1 macbook pro that I purchased a year ago last September and it crashes every other day and apple won't talk to me about it because I am out of my complimentary phone support and the nearest apple store is 4+ hours away!

17. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

18. talrep macrumors newbie

My macbook lasted for 2 years and it's still working but the screen became too dim even at full brightness. Switched to MBP few days ago and keep my MB to be used with external monitor.

and yes, I tried to clean the screen :)

19. deggs37 macrumors member

I'm at 2 years now with my MBP and it's slowly starting to die. Fans are starting to crap out on me. Screen is getting dimmer. Battery lasts about 30 minutes. I can cook eggs and bacon on it. Logic Studio and Leopard together on this machine SUCK. So I am beginning to really need a new MBP pretty soon.

20. propropro macrumors regular

only 2 years and it's dying? :eek:

21. katorga macrumors regular

My experience

My wife's TiBook ran for 6 years until it finally gave out.

Prior to that I had a Powerbook 540c which I bough used that lasted 5 years, and a powermac 7100 (upgraded from a Quadra no less) that ran a total of 10 years.

I have faith my MBP and wife's MB will last well past the time we start hankering for an upgrade.

22. ewxlt macrumors regular

My 1.5GHZ G4 Powerbook had it's 3rd birthday last week.

Since new, it's been on and net searching, photo editing, document creating, email sending, cd burning, web designing, message board dwelling for no less than 6 hours a day, 6 days a week. Twice a week also, it's used to project a PPT presentation and play DVDs on a screen.

It's never been back for care and has never had a glaring issue.

Lately though, it's slowing down. Installing 2GB RAM didn't help at all since it was simultaneous with a Leopard install which it seems ill-equipped to handle.

When I get a new 17" MBP, I'll wipe this one and re-install Tiger and pass it on to my assistant. We'll see how long it can go!

23. BluePAZ macrumors newbie

You know they don't keep the same quality control because anyone why has and G3, G4, and G5 know that they are still running great a seem to be more reliable then the new intel macs. In my personal experience Apple has gone down in quality and service.

24. mashinhead macrumors 68020

I would say an average of 3-5 years depending on use and user. I personally wouldn't keep it more than 2.5 years, but that doesn't have to do with how long it will last.