Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
Is there an app you can use that will turn on your VPN automatically when certain apps are open? There is one on Cydia, but you need to sign up to use it (which I am not going to do - sounds like a scam).

Thanks.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
Cloak and TunnelBear also turn on the VPN automatically.

Have a repo for them?

Edit - Never mind, not what I am looking for. I already have a VPN service, I just want the phone to automatically connect to it when I load an app like say Safari.

Last edited:

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
Cloak and TunnelBear also turn on the VPN automatically.

How in the world do you get tunnel beat to connect automatically? I had it for a while but it disconnects every ten minutes and doesn't reconnect. So is basically useless. Unless you check constantly that it's connected.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
How in the world do you get tunnel beat to connect automatically? I had it for a while but it disconnects every ten minutes and doesn't reconnect. So is basically useless. Unless you check constantly that it's connected.

One thing I did find is that using OPENVPN connect results in the VPN connecting each time you turn the screen on. I guess its a decent work around until I find one that is app specific.

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
Follow up with GuizmoVPN. It has some features that may allow you to do it per WIFI network or only on 3G.

I don't know of anything that works strictly per application.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.