On ear headphones recommendations?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by sk8mash, Oct 23, 2011.

1. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

I've had the Bose QC3's for a couple of years and I love them however I have gone through 2 pairs (both have been replaced under warranty). I've probably been unlucky as there doesn't seem to be any wide spread complaints about them not lasting very long, but i'm considering selling the replacement pair that they are going to send me and getting something different, as this pair won't come with any warranty.

I don't want any people saying Bose stands for whatever. I don't care what you think about Bose. I really like the headphones and the active noise cancelling is amazing.

What i'm looking for is something of a similar design to the Bose and of similar quality. They need to be on ear and preferably have great active noise cancelling.

I have been looking at the Bowers & Wilkins p5's. They don't have active noise cancelling but build quality seems to be good and I quite like how they sound (although slightly lacking on the bass).

Any recommendations?

2. bertopl macrumors newbie

I'm currently using the beyerdynamic dt1350. it's my favorite portable headphone atm although they are very finicky in their placement to get the best sound.

I've tried many portable headphones, and although most of what I bought were really good, the beyers are my favorites. I also liked the sennheiser hd-25-1 II's for a long time. I love the look and comfort of the B&W's but I use those the least since they have the weakest overall sound of the three imo.

dt1350>hd-25>p5's is the way I'd rate them. none have active noise cancelling but they all do a good job at blocking out ambient noise.

3. akswun macrumors regular

akswun

4. chris1184 macrumors regular

look into ultrasone...they make some amazing headphones...legit!

5. martinlird macrumors member

6. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I highly recommend Beyerdynamics DT770 Pro's in 80 ohms if you're not using a headphone amp, or 250 ohms if you are. I've owned many high quality headphones over the past 40 years and I have to say these are amazing, especially for less than $200

7. Avatar74 macrumors 65816

The Sennheiser HD-280 Pro or 380 Pro circumaural headphones are professional studio gear, and therefore are actually priced lower than audiophile bs for the so-called "prosumer" but actually far better quality.

I have a pair of each, and while they don't have active noise canceling, I find that to be disruptive to accurate reproduction and unnecessary with the Sennheiser's circumaural design. Sound doesn't bleed in or out if you're listening even at a moderate level.

They're a fantastic quality for the price... $89 for the 280's and about $199 for the 380's, and, without making froo-froo claims or resorting to audiophile-friendly hyperbole, they possess more than adequate full range sound.

8. sk8mash thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

I kept the replacement pair thinking they wouldn't break again. However, they have. Bose are going to replace them again for me but I think this time I might get something else.

A lot of the headphones that have been suggested here aren't supra aural which is my main request! I'm currently playing with a pair of B&W P5's I'm borrowing from a friend and whilst I prefer the build quality and aesthetics, I don't like the sound as much as the QC3's. Any other suggestions?

9. PAPO macrumors 6502

AKG Q460 I recently got myself a pair and I love them, they fold up and come with a case and they sound great

10. sk8mash thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

I notice they're quite a lot cheaper than the Bose or the B&W...do you have any idea how they compare in terms of audio quality?

11. PAPO macrumors 6502

no idea but my GUESS is at least as good if not better, and I'd trust AKG over anyone at this point with an 12+ year old pair of K301's that still work pretty well

12. sk8mash thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

Hmm reviews seem mixed. This guy is usually pretty fair: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULRWbbMcCx8

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I have a pair of custom IEMs that I use when I travel. It's pretty much sealed, so I don't need active noise isolation. My current pair is 2 years old now.

Several manufacturers make them, but I have one from Ultimate Ears. It's something to consider.

14. gjb11 macrumors regular

I use ATH-M50's and they are great for the money.