on iOS 4.1, tethering not working

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jarrodtb, Jan 5, 2011.

1. jarrodtb macrumors member

it's been a while since Ive used tethering (a wee or two) and was using the comcenter hack... I havent upgraded past 4.1. on my iPhone 4. Today I went to use it, and while the phone and laptop connect and I ge tthe blue tethering bar at the top, I am not able to get online. I also have MyWi and am experiencing the same problem. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. NoStopN macrumors 6502

NoStopN

IIRC when I bought my MyWi license, it says that having more than one tethering method for your phone may cause interference. I don't know how difficult it is to install the command line hack, but if it's not difficult to reinstall, try removing it from your phone. Then see if MyWi works. Also, if you can get online with the phone (wifi hotspot), check Cydia. MyWi had an update when I checked earlier.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why do you have both the comcenter hack and MyWi installed?
    And is MyWi legit?

4. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I got to be something else you got installed on your phone, or maybe the firewall setting on your computer change, I got both runnings and don't have any issues. I used Bluetooth Tethering if I am only tethering my computer and myWi for when i need multiple connections (iPAd, laptop, PSP, etc)

5. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Why not uninstall mywi and reboot and try again? If only to aid in troubleshooting. Is your laptop by itself able to get online?

6. jarrodtb thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the input. I installed MyWi as an alternative when the Comcenter hack stopped working... and it is legit. The laptop is working on wifi fine, two seconds before. I discovered the Comcenter tethering issue while on the road, came home to troubleshoot and is when I could get neither the native tethering or MyWi to work. The problem still exists with MyWi installed after the phone has been through a reboot.

i agree that it must be something else installed. Any ideas on how to diagnos that besides selectively uninstalling apps, testing, and reinstalling?

Thanks.

7. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

You could always restore that bad boy. That would show it who's boss....

8. wpotere Guest

CommCenter hack stopped working ages ago and may be interfering with MyWI. You may need to restore the phone and redo the JB to resolve the issue. FYI, MyWi is not legit.... It is an app that is purchased via Cydia and hacks the phone to use a feature that AT&T charges you for now.