On Jailbreaking, to do, or not to do?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Gigman, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Gigman macrumors newbie

I just recently purchased an 8GB ipod touch and have been on the fence about jailbreaking it. All of the apps sound great, but it's not clear to me if there is any risk in doing this. From what I have read, if anything goes wrong you can fix it by resetting your ipod. However, I have heard other stories of people having to send it to apple to be fixed. I'm not willing to turn my $300+ purchase into a paperweight over some apps that aren't really necessary. There are three questions I would like to ask you all
    1) is there any risk in jailbreaking my ipod?
    2) what could go wrong if i jailbreak my ipod?
    3) is it easy to fix your ipod if something goes wrong while jailbreaking it?
    I understand that there are a million and one posts talking about this, but I am just looking for a straight answer.

Thank you all for your help
    -Ian

2. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Now that you can just go to that website URL to jailbreak and install Installer.app, it can't get any easier.

In general, there's little to no risk of permanently damaging your device. If in the unlikely event something goes wrong, you can completely undo the changes by restoring your iPod with iTunes.

The only devices that were getting bricked (meaning PERMANENTLY rendered inoperable) were the unlocked iPhones. Unlocking is of course completely different from jailbreaking.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

you can not do any permanent damage to it by hacking it, I would however wait until a few days after an update to apply it since there could be problems with update, but nothing that can't be gotten around.

even those were not made permanently damaged, hackers have managed to unbrick those.