On jailbroken 4.0 (iPhone 4), how do I upgrade to 4.1 and keep jailbreak settings

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jhkaplan, Oct 14, 2010.

1. jhkaplan macrumors regular

Just like the title says...

I've been searching around to see if the Limera1n jailbreak will also upgrade me to 4.1 and haven't been able to figure it out.

I have an iPhone 4 jailbroken 4.0; I'd like to upgrade to 4.1 and stay jailbroken, but not have to re-install all of my cydia apps and settings. Can this be done easily?

Thanks!

2. neilp4453 macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure upgrading to a new firmware will break the jailbreak.

I believe there is a program to help you back-up your jailbroken programs/apps (not sure about specific settings within apps) so you can easily get things going again if you upgrade to 4.1

3. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Limera1n will jailbreak your iphone 4 on 4.1. If you are using ultrasnow for an unlock, you will loose it since updating to 4.1 will also update your baseband which currently isn't unlockable. You can preserve your baseband using Tiny Umbrella and update to 4.1 and then jailbreak with Limera1n or Greenpois0n.

4. jhkaplan thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Thanks guys for clearing this up! Using this method, I'd have to reinstall all of my settings and apps from Curia, right? I don't need it unlocked, I'm on AT&T in Chicago.

So my steps would be to upgrade to 4.1 (which would wipe my phone), reinstall all of my apps and music,jailbreak w limera1n, and reinstall all of my cydia apps?

Thanks!

5. outphase macrumors 65816

Yep. That's the best plan of attack if you don't have something like pkgbackup.