on line bill pay

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fjs08, Mar 9, 2008.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

Hi,

How does OSX fare with doing banking and bill pay on line???

I'm thinking of using Bank of America (BOA) and I just don't know if my Mac will be supported. Their web site, as far as I can tell seems a bit vague about it.

I'm not tied into BOA, it's just that they have lots of vendors that will send bills to them so I can access my bills and pay them when I am away from home

Thanks.

Frank

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

It's not about the OS it's about the browser and Safari and Firefox work just fine with my banks. I've banked with Bank of the West and Washington Mutual and no issues for the past 5 years.

Have you tried it? It's not going to help much if you don't give it try.

3. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

>>Have you tried it? It's not going to help much if you don't give it try.<<

I've never tried it. Currently, my wife does the bills and is happy writing them out. I may have more time to tackle this job and I love fooling with computers and on line stuff, so I thought.... why not. Just curious how it works with OSX, Safari, and Firefox. I basically use Firefox now.

Thanks.

Frank

4. silbeej macrumors 6502a

Some people just don't like the idea of doing transactions online. I think it's perfectly fine, and the worst part of it is spending the time with all your services to set up the accounts. After that it is as easy as routing your checking account or typing in your card number. Thats it.

5. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Do most folks use the online software or something like Quicken, etc, etc??

Reasons for or against each???

Frank

6. Wingnut330 macrumors 6502a

I'm a Mac user, an online bill payer and a Chase customer. My Mac's work fine with their site. Maybe switch to Chase?

7. TheStu macrumors 65816

The SDK keynote talked about how Bank of America has a pretty good MobileSafari page, so I would assume that their regular online banking would work as well.

8. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I pay ALL of my bills online, from garbage bill, AT&T, home phone, credit cards, car payment, every single bill. Even my mortgage is paid online. Every site works fine in Safari.

I haven't had to buy a stamp in over a year.

9. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

Husband and I use Bank of America site all the time (actually he is upstairs paying bills now!) we use Safari and have had no issues with their site:D

10. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

You can use the Quicken software if you want to view your account info, balances and so forth while offline however Quicken has proven to not work well with Mac OS X. I don't know why but Intuit seems to put forth more effort on their Windows versions unfortunately but the good thing is that it's a lot more secure to bank online with Mac OS X then with Windows. Just use Safari or Firefox and pay all your bills, your wife will like it better that she can get rid of paper bills and writing checks.

11. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

While I don't use them myself, I've read that Bank of America has a nice iPhone-specific online banking site.

12. bamf macrumors 6502

I do use BoA, and both Safari and the iPhone work nicely with their online banking.

13. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Never had a problem w/BoA on Firefox, whether on a Windows laptop or on a Mac. Don't worry about it.

14. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I use Paytrust. It's nice as the actual bills go to the paycenter and you get an e-mail when it's received. When you click on the link you see the image of the bill and you can pay it, or schedule it for payment at that point. I like not actually getting the bills in my mailbox. I've used this service for several years now, and I'm happy with it.

15. Oroak macrumors newbie

I use Bank of America online banking daily with the e-bill/bill pay service. It works perfectly with Safari 3.0.4 on Leopard.

The iPod touch version of its website is nice too ;).

16. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

I'm another person using safari and Bank of America to pay bills online.....I haven't had any problems in several years of use

17. macrlz9 macrumors 6502

macrlz9

i actually work for the BofA bill pay dept and yes it works just fine lol

18. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks so much to all here for the replies. I do appreciate it.

Frank

19. giapatterson macrumors newbie

online bill payment

Even I used BOA with Mozilla firefox earlier. But for quite sometime now i have been using a browser plugin that is supported by BOA to pay by bills. A very convenient and helpful toolbar as it gives me payment reminders, fill forms automatically and also remembers password for me. The whole process of going to company’s website, paying the bill and saving the receipt is now reduced to a couple of clicks for me. Billeo is a free toolbar and can be downloaded at http://www.billeo.com
    :)

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I use Chase with Safari and also on my iPhone. Works like a charm. Very easy to set up. in fact, they have most companies already set up as payees. They also have excellent notifications using SMS, email or phone- whatever you prefer.

They have an online demo.