Resolved On lookout for shallower bumper

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Menel, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Menel, Oct 12, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012

Menel macrumors 603

Menel

All the bumpers I've found have same overall depth as the iPhone 4 bumper, and didn't take into effect the thinner iPhone 5. Thus, the bumper edge has more depth and feels awkward to me.

Target bumper. Too deep, returned.
    iBlason from Amazon. Too deep, using for now.
    SpiGen Hybrid Ex. This guy says also too thick
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=15986160&postcount=75
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=16038261&postcount=107

Monoprice bumper, ???
    Photive bumper, ???
    Poetic bumper, ???
    Cellairis, ??? Compared in kiosk through plastic, seems shallower, has potential. That one was wrong color, purple or would have bought. No all black, just clear center black edges by looking at their website.
    MacCally, ??? Retail brand, might be higher quality. Might be able to find and look locally at Microcenter.
    Other, ???

Edit:added cellaris&maccally

Cellaris Update: Not the cheapest, $27 shipped, guess maybe as the old saying goes. You get what you pay for.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=16048627&postcount=26
    Cellairis/Noot same thing but cheap. Thin, rubber edges, same color options.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009GLFT78/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?tag=vglnkc5891-20

Another potential option.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=16073695&postcount=3
    Edit: added Noot

2. DIMEZ macrumors 6502a

DIMEZ

3. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

What brand?

4. Menel thread starter macrumors 603

Menel

5. Giuly, Oct 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2013

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

The Poetic Borderline in black or white might fit your bill:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, the i-BLASON bumper looks rather thin, plus it comes in black, white, green, pink, yellow and blue:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SGP Spigen has updated their Neo Hybrid EX range with slimmer bumpers as well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

6. Uabcar macrumors 6502

I've got the same issues as the OP.

I'm currently using the ebay version in the link above (but in all black). Of the three that I've got & tested, its the best - with metal buttons and rubbery outer edges just like Apple's version before (which is very important to me). I just ordered the iBlason from Amazon to test it - although I'm guessing it may be the exact same thing as the ebay version.

My beefs with the bumpers I've tested thus fare are:
    1. they either don't fit tightly enough (ebay version I'm using now is about .5mm too thick and Neo Hybrid's deep frame makes the phone very nearly as think as the 4/4s)
    or
    2. The rubber outer edge is not 'rubbery' enough (poetic and Neo Hybrid).

I was really excited about the SGP Neo Hybrid as I thought it would be exactly what I was looking for. But as the OP states- its very thick. In addition, the silicone portion does not provide enough grip. Very disappointing. I ended up taking it off because it was pulling up the edges of the BSE back skin.

I really wish Apple would make their own bumper. Although many thought is was overpriced, it fit perfectly. I was just looking at my old 4 this evening with the Apple Bumper. It feels like one solid piece - no wiggling or any movement between the phone or the bumper.

7. Menel thread starter macrumors 603

Menel

Report back on iBlason vs ebay. It works for me but it is sub par.

For me, its too thick.
    Not rubbery enough.
    And you can feel sharp unfinished ridges between the two plastics.

It does fit well (but i have full body ghost armor swelling the phone a bit) and buttons work well when padded with electrical tape from behind.

Rubbing alcohol takes off their ew silk screened branding

8. pocketdoc macrumors 6502a

The Poetic Atmosphere has very thin edges. It would make a perfect bumper. I am even tempted to cut out the back, but maybe it would be flimsy.

I think the shape of the 5 lends itself to being able to use a thin, tight bumper.

Everything out there that I have seen so far, and that has been shown on this thread, is too thick.

Still waiting....

9. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

The spigen isn't thick at all. Not sure why he said that. And it's very high quality.

10. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

I hear that the cutout for the Lightning cord doesn't fit well, so I'd wait for them to correct that in a later revision.

11. Menel thread starter macrumors 603

Menel

12. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

yeah, i still don't get it. the inner silicone is super thin as is the plastic outer part. can't imagine how you could possibly make it any thinner. and it's not rounded like the apple bumpers. great design. i highly recommend it. but to each his own.

13. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

Isn't it about the same thickness as the iPhone 4 bumper?

My generic bumper is pretty thin. It's the same as post #2.

14. Uabcar macrumors 6502

If you lay the i5 neo hybrid flat on a desk and measure from the desk surface up to the top of the neo hybrid - its almost exactly the same height as my i4 with the apple bumper. So given the thinner phone, the NH bumper is a relatively thicker piece.

I agree on a couple fronts though- it's a durable design for sure and the extra width of the frame provides more material around the cutouts. There is no doubt that a thinner profile impacts durability.

As i mentioned earlier, the extra thickness and lack of a more sticky silicone inner section are my main issues. Also seemed a little loose around the phone.

15. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

Just wait for the caze thinedge. Will be out soon :)

16. pocketdoc macrumors 6502a

Cool. Thanks for the tip.

Ohhh. I just looked up that one. Had it for my 4S. Has that clip thing. I didn't think it was that great of a case. Seemed loose fit. Maybe the 5 will be better.

I contacted Poetic about making a bumper out of the edge of their Atmosphere case. They do not have any plans, as they already sell a bumper (a lot like the orig apple one).

17. milk242 macrumors 6502a

The poetic/monoprice bumpers are thinner than the target bestcase bumper. The rubber is not as puffy but the cut outs are crap compared to the target bumper.

18. S.L. macrumors regular

S.L.

I'm using the Monoprice bumper, but to me, it's still too thick. Although, I'm really looking for a bumper that has little to no excess, guess it might not even be called a bumper at that point! :eek:

19. JeySpec99 macrumors newbie

http://www.pinlo.com/e/products/iPhone4/BLADEdge.html

The Pinlo Edgeblade II looks like it may be a nice thin bumper. I'm waiting to find some reviews from others before I pull the trigger myself. Looks nice and slim as does the Thin Edge case.

20. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

The Monoprice/Poetic/Photive bumper are all thinner than the Target/TPU bumpers. But the catch is, is that the buttons are not tactile and hard to push. Currently I'm using a thicker bumper with responsive buttons. But I'm right there with you in wanting a thinner bumper.

Thin, but ugly as hell. Had my hopes up for a second.

21. Menel thread starter macrumors 603

Menel

In a similar boat with the iBlason. Too thick but buttons work good.

It sounds like...
    Monoprice/Poetic/Photive, and looks like maybe Macally?. Are shallowest, one large bottom opening, but with rubbery unreponsive buttons. (same manufacturer?)

Target/iBlason/other generic w/ metal buttons: Have metal tactile good buttons, and 3 bottom openings. Are thicker but have the better tactile buttons. (same manufacturers?)

Spigen. Thick, responsive buttons, good openings?

The third one, Cellaris. Looks thinner and rubbery edged like Monoprice/Poetic/Photive with large bottom opening. But metal buttons like the Target/iBlason. Maybe it's the golden sample? I dislike there is no black/black. Only clear/black, orange/black, and red/black. Tempting but can't decide. I think clear would get dirty. Not sure I'm big on orange or red.

Have a Photive on order from amazon prime $9. So I'm in $18 now. Want to see for myself. Might can fix button responsive ness with some electrical tape padding.

Next step. Cellairis. Urgh, red or orange. Sigh... #firstworldproblems

22. floss macrumors regular

Yeah, for such a simple product, I find it kind of ridiculous that no company has been able to replicate the original iPhone 4/4S bumper in terms of both quality and size for the i5. Too bad Apple stopped producing them.

23. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Yeah, and as we have Scuffgate rather than Antennagate now, if they would, they'd produce a case rather than bumper.

Maybe if we're all annoying Spigen by mailing them, they think about a second version of the Neo Hybrid EX that is proportionally(!) as thick as as the Apple Bumper? :)