Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mike457

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2010
Ontario
What you may be hearing, as you suggest is vibration through your table. I have the same problem, and have solved it by putting an old, thick mouse pad under the foot of the iMac. Before that, I found the vibration was more noisy if I put anything else (like a mug) on my desk.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
Get used to it? Computers do make noise? .They're not going to be completely silent. What you describe does not indicate broken-ness.
The fact is, the new iMacs should be silent. So, if it isn't, there is a problem. And, it's that loud that it distracts him. Something isn't right.

davegoody

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Nottingham, England.
Think yourself lucky

As some of you have seen, I bought my first iMac some time ago, and seeing as it is brand new, I find it distracting, that it is loud. I can hear the fan constantly, the Hard Drive is at 1098rpm-1101rpm all the time. The Optical Drive is at 999rpm, while the CPU fan is at 938rpm.

Should I lower them? Will it damage anything? Anything else I can do?

You should hear my MacPro, 2x Quad XEON, 4x 2TB 7200RPM Drives, 16Gb RAM. HUGELY noisy on startup, but settles down. With Power comes great responsibility, it seems that in this case, with Great Power comes Great Noise.

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
Remember it could always be worse. Here's a true story: I received a heavily scratched new BTO 15" Ultimate MBP from Apple, not once but three times in a row, over a period of well over two months. Each time I made a point (even though I ordered these via Apple.com) to show them to a genius for verification. Considering the scratches were over two and three inches long, and 2mm deep, they were quite obvious since they were located on the lid and palm rest.

Each time I had to re-order (BTO) and wait while they refunded my money so I could start over with each ensuing order. Given the fact that each of these cost me over $3,000 it was not a pleasant experience.

Yet undeterred, I kept playing Apple's game until they finally delivered one that looked like a new computer. Such is life with Apple these days. When you are number one with massive cash reserves, stratospheric success, and a fan base that will defend them no matter what, you can get away with anything.

Hey, it's only a computer :)

fullojellybeans

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2010
And now I created a thread anyway, can someone tell me, why my iMac is real slow when awakening it from sleep - even if it's just the screen I have turned off.

The rainbow cursor is on all the time and it's loading, mostly in Safari. The only apps I have open is Reeder, Pages, Safari, Mail and sometimes Calendar, iTunes and a Messenger.

Should that really slow it down after awakening it?

First question:
Did you migrate anything from a previous machine? That could be causing your sleep issues. Two things you can try.

Go to ~/Library/Preferences and remove the com.apple.finder.plist, log out and log back in, that should give some speed boost for the system.

If you launch Terminal run this script for sleep/wake issues:
Code:
pmset -g log
that will tell you hibernate times and causes. hunt those down and clear them out.

A lot of it has to due with the amount of RAM and speed of the HDD in the machine. It's all software at this point since it's a wake/sleep issue you may be experiencing.

Second question:
Safari issue, is it mostly with pages that use JavaScript and heavy php scripting?

If so, go back to Terminal with Safari open still.
Run this
Code:
defaults write com.apple.safari WebKitDNSPrefetchingEnabled -boolean false

Then just quit Safari and relaunch it, that should give it a little speed boost because it's not caching links on the page. This can be found on the KBase article http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3408

duky

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
North Carolina
So I exchanged the iMac today and this new one is worse, it got MARKS underneath the glaspanel... Christ sake, this is my 3rd iMac 27"! =(

What is a glaspanel? I'm confused because I never hear anything from my iMac. The only thing I heard in my old 27" was the hard drive but now that my iMac has a SSD I don't hear a peep unless encoding movies. I wish I could help in any way besides providing my own anecdotes. What you're describing doesn't sound normal but if this is happening with your 3rd iMac it must be something that you're running on it that is working it hard enough for the fans to come on.

But I see you mentioned a buzzing sound that is annoying. I had an issue like this with an older 27" iMac that a few other people in forums had but Apple could not resolve for me despite replacing the LCD and other "repairs". Basically, whenever I would lower the brightness or when the screen would dim prior to going to sleep I would hear the buzzing sound coming from the rear of the computer in a completely quiet room (more easily heard when standing up behind the computer but not very audible when in front of the computer working). This was very annoying but I have not noticed it with my new iMac. I'm not sure if it is just this unit of if I just have gotten used to it somehow. It wasn't very loud (some people I tried to show it to swore they could not hear it) but when I heard it it was annoying. It had nothing to do with the fans or hard drive but it was the display (particularly the brightness of the display -- lower brightness equaled more buzzing). Not sure if this might be part of the issue you are having.

Anastacio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Denmark
Phew... I'll read through all the posts when I got time, gotta work right now.

Anyway, to me it's not just a computer, it's $2,500 spent, and those I do not want to be distracted by scratches, broken glass, marks, dust beneath the glass or heavy noise.

So today I got a refund and I'm now looking forward to the new MacBook Air with SSD, and then I'll just come back and buy the iMac 27" 2012 model next year - by the way, I couldn't just get the store to remove the glasspanel and clean it and we don't have an Apple Store here in Denmark.

Though, they did deliver great customer service, no doubt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.