iPhone XS Max On my 3rd iPhone Xs Max

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jacc Sparrow, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Jacc Sparrow macrumors regular

Jacc Sparrow

Whats going on folks!

After debating on the upgrade from a launch day iPhone X, I decided to take the plunge. I reserved my phone and was in and out of the Apple store within 10 minutes. I waited until I got off of work to set it up, and I immediately noticed something wasn't right with the screen. It was very yellowed compared to my iPhone X, and the difference was dramatic.

The next day I went to the Apple store to compare it to other units and sure enough there was a huge difference. I made an appointment and saw the technician , he compared it to his own Iphone Xs Max and there was a stark difference. He brings out the replacement device, we get it all booted up and this screen is just as bad, this time the tech said something. After talking to his manager they decided to replace my device from the retail side, instead of another genius replacement. I got the new phone and sure enough, it was good to go.

The next day my sister in law, and her bf came over with their new Max devices, and both screens had a yellow tint. They are undecided on what they are going to do. Trust and believe I am NOT that guy who takes a phone back for a dead pixel. But the phone was too dark, even on the highest brightness and for the amount of money the phones cost, they should be as close to "perfect" as possible.

[​IMG]

LEFT is 1st replacement device Right is display Model

[​IMG]

My wifes iPhone X my first Iphone Max

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

What I find interesting is that this happens every year. The first few weeks seem to be flooded with threads like this and then it just dies down. It took me a few weeks to find my X last year and by that time people had largely stopped complaining about the yellow screen and sure enough, when I picked up my phone it was perfect.

It's perfectly clear that there's an issue if the warmer tones are not to your liking, which is fairly common. I agree that the cooler tones are more desirable. I wish there were some reasonable explanation from Apple on why they continue to shoot for that overly yellow tone in the beginning and then slowly tweak to the cooler side.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I am no fan of a piss yellow screen but I prefer to have my iPhone screen be slightly warm rather than cold and blue.

My MAX was about the same as my X and am happy the way it is.

4. ericwn macrumors 68020

Sorry that’s happening to you, I would be disappointed too.

5. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

I don’t see a problem with the pictures you posted. I guess I like a warmer screen.

6. jk1211 macrumors 6502

Turn off truetone first of all; different generation screens react to true tone differently (different screens or different sensor used for the light data). Truetone causes a "yellow" (warm) tint.

7. BAZ1307 macrumors member

Honestly don’t worry about it, keep replacing those phones until you’re happy. All it does is cost Apple, and tbh there shouldn’t be such a big variance between each model.

I’m onto my 5th iPhone XS Max and finally I’m happy with this one. It doesn’t have the most cool looking screen I’ve ever seen, but it’s a neutral white with minimal shift and a fairy even colour too. My previous phones had visible gradients with solid colours (especially white and grey). I think the calibration of the screens this year is more on the warm side, however there are screens out there that are less so. The quality control this year however is shocking, and I’m thoroughly disappointed with Apple for being like this.

Hopefully you can come to a conclusion where you’re happy with your phone! Best of luck! :)

8. Jordan921 macrumors 601

Jordan921

Hopefully you find a phone that is up to your standards. Glad I never had to go through this.

9. bhodinut macrumors member

bhodinut

That's why I usually wait 4-5 months until I buy an iPhone/iPad. The initial production issues and QC problems always seem to be fixed by then. Happens in most industries. Try a totally new car design in it's first year.

10. Relentless Power, Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

You would be surprised how many actually believe exactly what you’re saying, as the theory is, that manufacturing level is at a rapid pace to meet the demand when a new product launches like the Series 4 Apple Watch or iPhone XS, therefore, when you have products that are heavily escalated to be assembled, there usually are hardware faults. When manufacturing slows down after the initial rush, you have those who are under the theory that the product is more well-made and will experience less problems. On the flipside, then you will have those who claim they purchase Launch day products every single year across the board in Apples lineup and never had a problem. There really is no tangible answer.

11. psy_duck macrumors newbie

psy_duck

im on my 2nd and i am happy. the first one had a warm yellow tint and also it always warmed up during normal use. im glad i trusted my gut and got it exchanged at the genius bar. finally happy with the one i have now.

12. shadow82x, Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2018

shadow82x macrumors 6502

I went through a few, took a bit to get a nice screen.(Minimal tint and clear whites.) In your first pic above, the phone on left looks fine though. I'd actually argue the one on the right has an ugly purple tint on half of the screen and looks dimmer.

13. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

14. 1080p macrumors 68030

1080p

I am glad I can just open my package and just enjoy my phone every year without obsessing about such things.

15. Donnation macrumors demi-god

Donnation

Did you really feel compelled to start your own separate thread? You’ve already posted this in the master thread and got some responses. Your issue didn’t need it’s own thread for discussion.

16. iFone88 macrumors regular

iFone88

Surely this is to do with True Tone?

17. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

I prefer the screen on the left. One on the right is too blue...

18. Jacc Sparrow thread starter macrumors regular

Jacc Sparrow

sorry message board master. I started this thread before I saw the other thread. please forgive me for my transgression. But you must have been bored as HELL to read my post in the other thread and then come in here just to type your response. I am glad that I matter that much to you.

19. Donnation macrumors demi-god

Donnation

Forgiven. Carry on.

20. William333 Suspended

hahaha On to my third iPhone XS Max 64gb first one was a bit yellow colour with a big scratch on the side not as good as my iPhone X screen.

Second replacement arrived yesterday was yellow I mean was like piss yellow colour with sharp edges.

I think this year all XS/XSMAX are warming tone display my iPhone X is blue like white.

Now await for another replacement this Friday not happy with the price I paid £1099 last try before I request a refund and try again @ my local apple store.

21. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Sadly brand new releases these issues exist for some just working out the issues on these things can often take months

22. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

I did notice at first and when I turned off truetone it went really cool, I didn't like it so I just turned it back on. The colors on the phone are still quite brilliant and deep, I don't even notice the tint anymore to be honest, I think fixating on it will only make it worse.

23. rockitdog macrumors 68020

Apple's spec tolerance has gotten bad! Real bad.

24. Wags macrumors 65816

Also need to make sure brightness is the same. The XS’s are slightly brighter than X. On the OP photo the XS brightness looks slightly higher which would make difference.

25. William333 Suspended

You got that dam right yellow iPhone XS Max cost me £1099
    sat here looking at my cheap chinese phone cost me less than £100 has a blue screen brightness is amazing not funny at all that phone cost 11 times less.