"ON MY MAC" heading disappeared from Mail.app?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stevearm, Jul 5, 2010.

1. stevearm macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

As of this afternoon after I deleted a mailbox folder from Mail.app, suddenly the 'On my Mac' heading that was above all my custom folders has disappeared. All my mailboxes are now stuck to the Inbox, Sent etc... ones above.

Anyone else seen this? any way of getting it back?

Cheers

2. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. HBOC macrumors 68020

No one is answering because you said MAC. just kidding. However, a screen shot would be helpful.

4. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

I believe the "on my mac" section is used for imported messages - so if you deleted those messages, it will be empty (and will no longer show).

That's what I'm assuming, the only time I had the "on my mac" section was when I imported my mail from thunderbird years ago and when I imported my mailbox to another user account. Have not seen it show up in any other situation.

5. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Definitely didn't appear during importing. The 'On My Mac' heading on the sidebar has always been there since my very first email. When I go to create a new mailbox the default section to create it in is 'On My Mac', it's just suddenly disappeared from the sidebar...?

6. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

OK I will take a stab at it... MobileMe is obvious... I would imagine that On My Mac is as obvious... it is not MobileMe... I have MobileMe in the mail app and cox.net and I have On My Mac... how many email addresses do you have in your mail app? Let's start there...:apple:

8. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for offering to help, it's much appreciated.

1 email address, using POP3.

Always had On My Mac in top of all my created mailboxes but it just disappeared one day. I think it happened at the same time as I moved email messages from one mailbox to another, and deleted the now empty mailbox/folder.

9. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

OK now just wondering here because I do not really know but were I you I would use my install disk and reinstall the Mail app... I would do that because I do not know of any other way of getting Mail back to normal. Now because I know of no way does not mean there is no way.... proceed with caution... good luck...