"On My Mac" -- How do I access it?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Slower Pace, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Slower Pace macrumors member

I have searched the forum to no avail. Here is my problem. I had two important e-mails I wanted to permanently save, so I created a new mailbox in On My Mac in the Mail program by selecting Mailbox/New Mailbox at the top. Then I dragged the files to On My Mac and put them in the new mailbox when it appeared below On My Mac. The files apparently went there, but now I can't get to them again! On My Mac is on the left side of Mail, just above RSS, but it is grayed out and for the life of me I cannot figure out how to get to my e-mail again.

2. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

Try going to /Users/<username>/Library/Mail/Mailboxes in Finder to see if the new mailbox you created is there. If it is the mails you moved there will be listed in its folder. The messages will be named using some indexing number by Mail so you won't be able to recognize it unless you open it. If the messages are there in Finder most likely it is a permissions issue. Have you tried repairing permissions and then relaunching Mail? Or tried rebooting to see if that fixes it?

Edit: You can view the messages by using QuickView in Finder.

3. Slower Pace thread starter macrumors member

Thanks...but how odd!

Yes, there they were. How odd. Apple is trying to impress everyone with how superior their products and software is, and then to take a simple procedure like creating a folder to store important e-mail files in and burying it in the depths of the system is so strange! On my PC mail reader I just created a new folder and moved the files into it and there they were, ready to read like in any other folder or mailbox.

What is the purpose of Apple doing such a strange thing as they did in hiding On My Mac mailboxes and then changing the name of the files to a number? That's why I couldn't find them in a search. Why can't I just make a folder in Mail and put them there? And if I can, how do I do that?

4. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

Usually Mail does work the exact same way as your PC mail client does. Just in this one case something got corrupted in the Mailbox as you created it, not unheard of. I looked in Mail under the Mailboxes menu and noticed there is a Rebuild command there. You could try that and see if the folder shows under On My Mac afterward.