"On My Mac" mailboxes not restored via Time Machine?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by withnail, Jul 4, 2009.

1. withnail macrumors regular

I just went from a 15 to a 17 MacBook Pro, and on the new machine, I restored from a Time Machine backup. Everything was pretty much seamless, except that when I was in Mail and tried to look up an old e-mail that was in one of my "On My Mac" mailboxes, I noticed that while the mailboxes/folders were there, they were empty.

Anyone else had this same problem or know how to fix it? I had about 5 years' worth of saved e-mail in there that I'd like to have access to... :(

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Do a Spotlight search... they are there
    I remember having to find them in the Library or somewhere and manually moving them over

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. withnail thread starter macrumors regular

Worked like a charm, thanks! You saved me a ton of heartache - I owe you a beer.

Oh, and to hell with Georgia! (Sorry, as a Tech grad, couldn't resist ;) )

4. CinemaChick macrumors newbie

How to rebuild your "On My Mac" Folders/Mailboxes after a backup or migration

I just spent nearly 3 hours trying to get an answer on this exact issue from AppleCare. Since the posts prior to mine were not very thorough, I decided to write this to help anyone who has this issue in the future. It is really quite simple.

After doing a time machine backup or a migration (in my case, I was migrating using Time Machine from a previous machine), do the following:

1. Quit Mail if it is open.
    2. Go to Finder -> Library -> Mail -> Click on whatever file is there (in my case, it was named V2) -> Click on MailData
    3. Select any and all Envelope Index files (in the MailData folder) and drag them to your desktop (I had 3 of these that I had to drag to my desktop).
    4. Reopen Mail (and you will see all of those files being added to your new Mail. This will not effect any of your iCloud info; at least, it did not effect mine whatsoever.)

Just a note - if you are concerned that your emails are not there, you can actually see each one by going to Finder -> Library -> Mail -> V2 -> Mailboxes <----There you will see in that Mailboxes folder all of your previous "On My Mac" Folder/Mailboxes

Also, future note - it is much easier if you are a .Mac/.iCloud user to create a folder in that Mailbox. This also allows for remote access to that particular folder.

I really hope this helps someone else out! Good luck!