On my new Time Capsule, where should I store non-backup files?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by felixen, Jul 31, 2012.

1. felixen macrumors 6502a

Okay so now I have set up my TC using the setup "connect to a wireless network". Hope that is a decent setup. Now I am running backups fine, but I wanna know where I should place any additional files I have, such as my "Movies" folder?

On the photo here I have marked two areas that I can store this Movies folder in: AREA A and AREA B.
    In AREA A I need to open the "Data" folder before I can make a folder of my own - I cannot make a new folder next to "Data" for some reason, it's gotta be inside it.
    In AREA B I can make my folder right away (which I've done already as you can see).

What is the correct choice; AREA A inside the "Data" folder or AREA B as I've done already?

[​IMG]

2. keeper macrumors 6502

Unless thing have changed, it's been awhile since I owned one, the TC will just fill itself with backups.

The option I took was to have a QNAP NAS, this method allows you to specify how much space TM can use leaving the rest for media storage.
    A multidrive NAS also gives you the option the have a raid setup to help protect from data loss.

Don't forget if you store media on an external devise you also need to back that up, I have an external drive that the NAS software backs up to which I then store off site.

A TC is a simple back up solution but maybe not the best, if you are in a position to return it I would do some research and see if it will meets your needs for the cost.

http://www.synology.com/index.php?lang=default

And

http://www.qnap.com/en/?lang=en&sn=1000

Would be a good place to look at options, hope this helps TC may suit your needs but won't provide a complete solution, a QNAP would also provide you with a cloud access to your files.

Cheers Phil

3. DOUGHNUT macrumors regular

Area A once you go into it will list all the drives that are connected to the Time Capsule. data folder is as the name implies the default data folder of time capsule's hard drive.

How it works is that the Time Machine back up drive is created as a sparseBundle image file that expands until all the space is used up. The workaround for it is to create a custom sparsebundle file that limits how large the image file gets. You can then use the remaining space whichever way you want. It's pretty easy to do and there are step by step instructions on YouTube.

Hope that helps clarify things a bit

4. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

In area A, just create a new folder and place your movies there. This is what I do on my T.C.

5. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

The way I set it up Is I pulled out the hard drive and partitioned it, used one half for backups, the other for storage..

6. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Much has to do why just how much space you need. I will put all my media folders (pictures, music, music) on LaCie thunderbolt drives. Time Capsule is just for backup (of the entire machine...not just the media files).

At Costco in the States you can get a 3TB USB 3 drive for $139. No need to try to partition Time Capsule.

7. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks everyone. Always great to get a bunch of opinions. I will try and make a folder in AREA A inside the "Data" folder and see how that works out.

Then I have this old external HDD that I will use once in a while to also store Time Machine backups just in case the TC should fail me.

8. keeper macrumors 6502

Your other option is to format the drive in mac format.
    Use carbon copy cloner to do full backups at a regular period.
    Should your internal ever fail you can boot to an instant working machine.

Just gives you another option to get working quickly I tend to do mine once a month.

Cheers phil

9. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks keeper, I'll definitely keep that in mind.

However if I keep my current setup, how can I make the Movies folder (inside the "Data" folder in AREA A) available for sharing so that I can access it from other networks than my own? For instance when I visit my parents house I want to be able to access the files I keep in this Movies folder. How do I set that up?

10. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a