on noes! Stuck at the spinni g wheel

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nick9871, Nov 19, 2007.

1. nick9871 macrumors member

so on my MacBook I was doing the recent intel update and it failed in the middle. Nothing would open so restartex the comp. Now the thing just sits at the pinwheel. I tried to use shift to boot but unless I did it wrong it did b
    not work. I have about 25 gigs of pictures I can't loose on there. What is the next step to take?

Ps I posted this from my iPhone LOL! I have no other macs..

2. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

3. nick9871 thread starter macrumors member

when i boot from the osx discs i dont have the option to upgrade. I have the option to keep user data or erase and install. The pictures are located on the desktop, would they be saved?

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

5. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

Is this the drop in disk that they put in the box for the 10.5.0 upgrade?

6. nick9871 thread starter macrumors member

no its 10.3.9 so if the pics are on the desktop then they will be saved? And what about aperture settings and library?

7. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

Okay - let's get the full story.

What OS were you running before you started the update?

What OS were you trying to update to?

What was the failure in the middle that you mentioned?

I am aware you are on an iPhone - this is one time an extra PC around the house would be useful. :rolleyes:

8. nick9871 thread starter macrumors member

i was just doing the most tecent update that "software update" told me to do. I got a msg at the end of the update installation tbat said there wa
    as an error during install, nothing then worked do i reststed and got the infinite spinni g wheel. I am trying a archive abd restore now so we will see how that goes

9. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

Okay, great. The archive and restore does exactly that. It will save all of your settings and data, update the system, and then restore all that it saved. So all of your pics should be there when you finish. If not, check a folder at the top of your hard drive called Previous System and you will see what the system archived before it performed the update.