Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chewbee

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 23, 2007
My biggest Apple Watch question...

How well does the "lift arm to turn on the screen" function?

Worried that the watch face might turn on constantly when I lift my arm for other reasons than checking the time. or when I turn my wrist for anything else. Like, reaching up for something, rotating wrist to pick something up...

All you folks with watches... does the watch turn on at odd times when you're not meaning to check it?

jjlannoo

Suspended
Oct 8, 2011
My biggest Apple Watch question...

How well does the "lift arm to turn on the screen" function?

Worried that the watch face might turn on constantly when I lift my arm for other reasons than checking the time. or when I turn my wrist for anything else. Like, reaching up for something, rotating wrist to pick something up...

All you folks with watches... does the watch turn on at odd times when you're not meaning to check it?

Way too sensitive for me and my job. I just turned it off, easy to just tap the screen.

chewbee

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 23, 2007
Way too sensitive for me and my job. I just turned it off, easy to just tap the screen.

hmmm... both hands have to be free to check the time ?? I really want the watch, but that could really be a pain.

Uccle

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2012
I was surprised by this. It is actually pretty good when wearing the watch properly on the outside of the wrist (doesn't work at all when you wear it on the inside). Don't know if the weight of the watch has any impact on its accuracy, but mine turns on unexpectedly infrequently. It is much better than other things I've tried (e.g. basis band which would often wake me up in the middle of the night).

But it isn't perfect. Just surprisingly good. But I had low expectations.

jjlannoo

Suspended
Oct 8, 2011
hmmm... both hands have to be free to check the time ?? I really want the watch, but that could really be a pain.

I guess its a big deal to some. I use my nose if my hands are wet lol. It would be impossible for me to use the setting, my actions at work would have it lit all day long

susan12369

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2015
I find it works really well for me. I think it's something you'll have to see for yourself, based on your movements and what you're looking for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.