On/Off or Ask for Safari Flash?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LarryJoe33, Jul 31, 2017.

1. LarryJoe33 macrumors 65816

LarryJoe33

What setting do you use. Trying to get used to Safari coming from Chrome. I have it on Ask but it gets annoying. What is the downside of Adobe Flash?

2. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Ask. I only want the bits i want to see.
    the rest is just adds and mess.

3. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

Deinstall it. Flash will be dead by 2020 anyways. Everyone who uses flash on their websites needs to get working on it.

4. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

I use Chrome if I need flash as it is built into Chrome. For everything else I use Safari. This way I don't need to install Flash.

5. LarryJoe33 thread starter macrumors 65816

LarryJoe33

Yeah I get that, but I am trying to switch exclusively to Safari and hoping not to go back and forth to Chrome.

6. Crash0veride, Aug 3, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2017

Crash0veride macrumors regular

Crash0veride

Unfortunately I doubt it's going to stop being prevalent for several years after that. At least maybe some major sites will stop using it right away, but it's not like flash will stop working and people definitely won't stop using it.

The benefits of HTML5 over flash essentially boil down to faster performance, less resource intensive, less pages crashes, Flash constantly has security issuess, and HTML 5 is cross platform inherently and built into any mildly modern browser. Also back in the day Jobs always said Flash was the number one reason Macs crashed. I don't know the accuracy of the statement any more, but I'm sure it's still a solid reason. I believe insecurity is a major reason most companies have been pushing against it the last few years. Random Gizmodo article: http://gizmodo.com/disable-flash-1688209571

I also would say good luck to only having Safari on your computer. There's always the stupid government/healthcare/utility provider/absolutely necessary site that is just completely un-functional in Safari.

7. LarryJoe33 thread starter macrumors 65816

LarryJoe33

Thanks, I still have Chrome and after using safari exclusively for a few weeks now, I definitely see what you mean. There are plenty of sites that don’t work as they are supposed to with Safari.

8. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

LOL are you serious? Adobe themselves stated that Flash will come to an end in 2020. Which means no support, no updates. Flash will become obsolete after they patch it for the last time within minutes. No patches mean no security.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 4, 2017 ---
    I've yet to come across website that doesn't work in Safari. Been using it for years now.

9. Crash0veride macrumors regular

Crash0veride

Yeah, and how many insecure non-SSL sites are out there? PHP sites? Sparkle Updater apps? Java is basically obsolete but people still use it. Hell, Flash is already stupid insecure and people use it anyway. Just because people would be stupid for implementing it, doesn't mean people aren't stupid, and that most web devs do things the way that is easy for them and not the right way. Hell CNN is still flash only. Ever walk into a business and see how many people are using internet explorer on a windows XP computer? Or even internet explorer for everything on Windows 10. The metaphor doesn't directly translate, but I have a feeling flash is going to linger around an obscenely long time. I hope you're right, but I have very little faith in people doing things "correctly" on the web.
    I run into them at least a couple times a year, but just my personal experience. A lot of job application sites really didn't like safari for me last year, for example. Also, government web forms/sites are ones I've frequently noticed. Mostly just web forms, where you hit submit and the page derps out and you have to redo the whole process.