iPad Pro On/Off or Sleep?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Newbert, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Newbert macrumors member

When not in use, I've been powering my IPP down by holding the power button, then swiping. Would it be better to just let it sleep?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of one over the other (besides convenience)?

Thanks!

2. darkgremio macrumors 6502

There's very minimal power draw from sleep mode, iOS devices are made to be put in sleep mode rather powering it off. Overtime there is a slight power draw, but it's minimal

3. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Yep, one of the prime advantages of an iPad over a Windows or Android tablet is that they have virtually no sleep drain. You can let them sit for weeks and still have much of your battery when you do pick it up - and it will be ready to use instantly. No point in shutting it down.

4. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Just sleep it. If you really want to conserve power, put it to airplane mode.

5. sparksd macrumors 6502a

Agree with that. Even my most efficient Android device - a 2013 WiFi Nexus 7 - drains 4% per day in sleep mode with everything turned off. My Air 2 usually is < 1% with WiFi, Bluetooth, and Location enabled. I only occasionally restart it.

6. cmascatello macrumors member

I've noticed that the Pro has a much faster standby/sleep battery drain compared to any previous iPad (or iPhone, for that matter). I've got the 128GB LTE but have not set up the modem or even turned it on.

7. PattyMc macrumors regular

PattyMc

My Pro doesn't drain any faster, maybe you have some Cloud activity going on in the background, or something that's active. Haven't had enough caffeine, lol, hope this makes sense!

Back to sleep or power down....I just let mine sleep, maybe once a month or two, I will power down.

8. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

9. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

Mobile devices (phones and tablets) are generally meant to be put to sleep/standby when not in use unless you plan on not using it for a long period of time, such as weeks.

Neither approach will do any harm, but shutting down and restarting with each use is really time wasting and inefficient with no real benefit. As others have said, iOS devices in particular lose very little power while in standby. In my experience an iPad can be left in standby for over a month and still have power.

10. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

11. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

sleeping, especially over night, is the best time for an iCloud backup to occur

12. Newbert thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

I've started to just let my IPP sleep, but now I have another question...... I have AutoLock set to 15 minutes. (I assume that's the "sleep" setting?) However, if I leave an app open, the IPP doesn't go to sleep during the 15 minute time span. But when I close all apps, it does go to sleep. Is that how it's supposed to work?

Thanks.

13. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

Depends on the app. Some apps will keep the device awake. If you just go back to the home screen the iPad should go to sleep on its own like normal. You shouldn't have to swipe the app closed in the app switcher.