Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

camarobh

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
San Diego, CA
Oh yea, I forgot that it doesn't have a silent switch

You can hold down the volume down switch to mute it quickly, I figure it's just as easy to hold down the power button and turn it off. Old habits die hard, and even though it's not necessary to shut down modern Apple equipment daily, my iPhone and iPad are both off at night. My iMac hasn't been off, or restarted, since the last software update required it.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Just as with an iPhone, you just press and hold the top screen lock button until it says "slide tom power off" do so and it shuts down completely. Probably just needs to be done if the iPad isn't going to be used for a few days at a time.

Simply remove the battery. ;-)

Isn't it the usual 'hold the lock screen button' and then slide to switch off? I have to admit I haven't tried it yet.

does that actually turn it off? or is it just like a sleep function.. apple quotes 30 days standby time using this method - which doesnt appear to be turning it off to me!

ive no idea, as i dont own an ipad/iphone (yet-ipad ordered). i know my ipod never fully turns off.

CJS7070

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
It'll just sleep automatically if you leave it on... Hah, at first I read this as "leaving it powered on with the display powered" powered on.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
does that actually turn it off? or is it just like a sleep function.. apple quotes 30 days standby time using this method - which doesnt appear to be turning it off to me!

ive no idea, as i dont own an ipad/iphone (yet-ipad ordered). i know my ipod never fully turns off.

That is as close to off as you can get with the iPhone or iPad. The iPods are even worse with just a standby/hold

In the online manual this is referee to as 'off'

Runt888

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
I don't mean that you are supposed to turn them off but for me and pretty much everyone else I know, it's just the norm to shut down your laptop at night time

the norm? what? I don't turn it off

Do you know that you can hibernate or suspend both Windows and Mac OS so you don't have to completely power down the computer?

Before switching to a Mac, I never had a Windows laptop that would reliably sleep/hibernate and wake up again. Most of the time it was faster to shut down completely then to wait for it to sleep and actually make sure that it was asleep (not to mention never knowing when it was going to wake up in my bag and try to melt itself). It was a hard habit to break when I switched to a Mac.

The vast majority of Windows users I know will shut off their computers (laptops and desktops) at night or before they move them.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
That is as close to off as you can get with the iPhone or iPad. The iPods are even worse with just a standby/hold

In the online manual this is referee to as 'off'

yea thats what i was hinting at. i guess 30 days is a while to last in that mode, im happy enough with that :) my 5G ipod can last a few weeks in standy fwiw, with a 3+ year old battery. it will play music all day long. (yey)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.