On Safety when browsing the Internet with a Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by doxavita, May 3, 2011.

1. doxavita, May 3, 2011
    Last edited: May 3, 2011

doxavita macrumors 6502a

Am I just as safe when browsing the internet with a Mac than say a Windows PC with the best possible Antivirus, Firewall, Spyware/Malware blockers/filters? Are Macs even safer?

Macs barely have any protection of that sort, except for a very simple built-in firewall.
    I understand malware/viruses are made for Windows. So can I browse the Internet with a Mac with complete peace of mind? (Not visiting restricted sites, but your everyday browsing, like visiting sites I may not have heard of before like google search engine results, etc...)

All I know so far is not to install any plug-ins as it may lead to installing a trojan, as well as avoiding downloads from unconfirmed sources.

Some Precautions I have taken: I browse with Firefox with the NoScript and AdBlock Plus plug-ins installed, so I whitelist only those sites I trust.
    Also already enabled the OS X built in firewall.

What are your thoughts? I'm thinking of buying another Mac for internet browsing. But I want to be sure I'll be completely safe.

And finally on a side note: Can a tracking(malicious) cookie steal info from a good cookie (one containing important data)?

Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There has never been a virus in the wild that affects Mac OS X since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some education and common sense and care in what software you install:
    Yes. Just uncheck "Enable Java" and "Open "Safe" files after downloading" in Safari Preferences. Use ClickToFlash plugin or ClickToFlash extension to reduce Flash demands on your system.
    Cookies can't steal anything. They are not executable files. They're basically text files.

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

A little common sense is all you need to stay virus and malware free. Read this. Apple Notebook Battery FAQ Compliments of GGJstudios.

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Beat me to it. :D

5. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

So other than avoiding giving my password (thus installing something unwanted), am I 100% safe with a Mac?

Please elaborate a bit more :)

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There's no such thing as 100% safe. An airliner could crash into your house while you're browsing the web.
    There's nothing more to elaborate. Read the Virus/Malware link I posted. It explains everything. If you want more information, read a few of the dozens of virus/malware threads that have been posted.

7. designguy79 macrumors 6502

Check out Web of Trust (WOT)

I have been pleased with the warnings and info it has provided me so far.

8. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

As long as you use common sense when downloading files, you are not going to have an issue.

9. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

On the Windows (PC) side of things, it's quiet nasty already, so many viruses, malware, phishing, clever exploits, it never ends. (and many more discovered each day)

But if you're telling me it's still safe on the Mac side, then I'll trust you guys.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read the link I posted, which I also posted in a thread you started 9 months ago. If you read it this time, you'll have your questions answered.

11. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yep, read it :) , Already had the link in my bookmarks, must have forgotten about it :eek:

Firefox plug-ins also ask for an admin password when installing? (just like safari?)

12. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

I learned from this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1148977&highlight=

That if I'm running an Admin account, Firefox won't really ask for an admin password when trying to install any plug-ins.
    Could this compromise my safety?
    Again, common sense browsing is best, but is this an important security step that is being skipped/avoided?
    Other than the password step (for plug-ins) and caution with dowloaded files, there's really nothing else to worry about I believe.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You appear to be bringing up the same worries in multiple threads, which isn't necessary. As long as you're not downloading and installing software that didn't come from a reputable source, your chances of ever encountering malware of any kind on Mac OS X is extremely remote. There are only a handful of trojans out there. Just think carefully before you install any software, get the software from recognized sources, and don't enter your admin password without thinking. Then just relax and enjoy your Mac and stop worrying. Most Mac users never see any malware. Re-read the first post I made in this thread, as well as the link I posted. That's all you need to know.

14. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's my point, there might not be a password prompt at all. (with an admin account).

But like you suggested I'm not going to worry too much about it. I assume if some bad malware was discovered, Apple would swiftly address it via a Software Update...

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If there's no password prompt, you don't have to worry. It doesn't matter if you're on a standard or admin account.
    If a real threat were encountered, we would be posting exact steps to avoid it. Until then, relax.

16. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok then ;) consider this thread the place to post about it if it were discovered.

17. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

So besides sites that try to install plug-ins or have downloaded files. Pretty much everything that's left in the internet does not pose any sort of security threat, right? yesterday I went to www.com, and even clicked their login icon, got kind of worried, lol, let me know what you think.

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Why would you get worried? It's simply a login to a website. There's zero threat there.

19. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

You're absolutely right GGJstudios. I guess coming from a Windows PC, I'm kind of paranoid already regarding malware. But yes, I did read that link you gave me. Guess I should read more on security.

20. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There's no reason for being paranoid. As long as you don't download and install software from an untrusted source, you're fine.

21. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, Apple was really smart when designing their OS X (security wise), let's see how this changes over this upcoming years.

So already more than 95% of the internet should be safe then?, what do you think?

22. Modernape macrumors regular

23. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, they've been saying that for the past 10 years. We're still waiting.
    This ^

24. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

25. GGJstudios, May 12, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2015

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, legit. From their site: Security, privacy, and control
    If you have concerns about any particular app, simply use Google to search for the app by name in this forum to see what others have been saying about it.