On screen wake - Is this new behavior and what is the default...

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by TRICKorDEVICE, Apr 6, 2017.

1. TRICKorDEVICE macrumors 6502a

I've noticed what I believe to be a change since updating Watch OS to the latest version. Prior to the update I believe when you were using an app, if the screen timed out, or you put your wrist down, it would wake to the last used app. BUT, if you turned the screen off manually by covering it with your hand, then it would wake to the watch face.

Now it seems that if the app times out and you let the screen sleep, it will wake to the watch face. I have played with the settings in RAISE ON WAKE, and I know there are options for: sessions, 2 minutes, 1 hour and always wake to the last used app. However, all of these settings change the behavior.

I want what I believe the old behavior was: if you do not manually sleep the screen the app will stay active and show on wake. However, if you manually put it to sleep, it would wake to the watch face. This is a subtle difference, but essentially with the old way, you didn't have to hit the crown to get home, you could sleep the watch from an app and then on the next screen wake you would be back at the watch face.

Has anyone noticed this behavior?
    What is the default setting for "On screen wake show last app"

2. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

I am not sure I completely understand all you have wrote here But to address the first part, if I have an app open such as Weather Underground and I put my wrist down or it times out, it will re-awaken to Weather Underground, using WatchOS 3.2. I believe that is what you are referring to as the "old behavior" and that has not changed.

But there are settings for how long you can set the delay for the last open app to show on wake under General->Wake Screen->On Screen Wake Show Last App. Default I believe is "Within 2 minutes of last use." So if you wake your watch within 2 minutes, the last app will show. Longer than 2 minutes the watch face.

If you want the wake to last app to be more persistent, change this setting to 1 hour or always.

Hopefully that helps answer the question. Sorry if I am not understanding correctly

3. TRICKorDEVICE thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you for the response. I think you understand what I am saying, but perhaps I don't remember the old behavior correctly. I'll keep playing with the settings and see if it starts to feel natural again.

4. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

Hopefully, you will find the setting you are looking for. The way my watch behaves is if I have Music open and I put my wrist down or it times out, it will re-open to music. But if I cover it with my hand then it will wake to the watch face.

I guess I am not sure which of the two behaviors you are trying to change or if your watch is just not behaving in this manner?

If you change that On Screen Wake Show Last App setting to "Always," then you will make to the last App, even if you cover it with your hand.

On the other hand, if you are trying to get it to wake up to the watch face, rather than the last app, if you raise your wrist in less than the 2 minute minimum, I am not sure how that can be set. There is no "Never" setting in that category.

If you feel it isn't behaving as it should, you can try rebooting the watch and if that fails to resolve the issue, there is always the more drastic route of reset. It isn't as drastic on the watch as it is on an iPhone or Computer. Just a little time consuming, but everything gets mirrored back.

5. TRICKorDEVICE thread starter macrumors 6502a

Which setting do you have on?
    Also, don't forget some apps have different behavior. Like remote, and maps. Does music stay in as well?

6. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

Correct. One of the options in the On Screen Wake Show Last App section is "While in Session" and only applies to "session" apps such as remote, maps, workouts, timer and some third part apps. I am not sure which 3rd party apps also use "sessions."

The other options are "within 2 minutes of last use," "withing 1 hour of last use" and "Always"

If you don't want the watch to timeout on how long it will display the last opened app, even if you cover it with your palm, "Always" will keep it persistent.

7. TRICKorDEVICE thread starter macrumors 6502a

8. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

The default setting is "within 2 minutes of use." In previous versions, the default was "Within 8 minutes of use." Perhaps that is where it seems different. They did shorten the time on the more minimal setting while keeping the next at 1 hour. Nothing in between 2 minutes and 1 hour.

9. TRICKorDEVICE thread starter macrumors 6502a

There it is! I was use to the old default!

Good job! I'm not sure I like the new default. 2 minutes is too short and one hour seems too long.

10. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

I agree with you. 8 minutes seemed rather random as well. It's too bad they don't have something in between such as 10 minutes or 15 minutes or better yet, make the time user customizable. Apple does make some odd decisions for us at times, to be sure.