On Sharing files imac to iMac can i share all folders?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by stuart2102, Jun 24, 2012.

1. stuart2102 macrumors regular

stuart2102

I tried to share my files in my iMac(snow leopard) to other iMac(lion) i check the box "File Sharing" but to my surprise not all folders i can open when i try to access it to other iMac which is i already make them communicate and share each others files, any idea or did i miss something? or its just a protocol that not all you can shared the files even if you check the box "File Sharing"?

2. Scythe5 macrumors regular

Generally, you can just share what's in the public folder - not everything on the computer.

3. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

It should share any folder you add in the sharing pref pane.

If you want, you can share the whole drive. I have one of my macs set up to share it's entire hard drive.

Are you logging into the mac correctly from the mac you want to access the files from?

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Add the folders you wish to share...I would use a password to protect any unauthorised access. I share all my iMac's files on my network, and also my Pegasus..Just use the little plus symbol to add the folders you wish to share, then set read / write access accordingly.

5. stuart2102 thread starter macrumors regular

stuart2102

yes i added already whole folders on my home user name but on i wonder some of it i can't access below is the screen shot uhmm the highlighted is the one I'm referring of that not all folders in there i can access

Attached Files:

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Highlight the folder and access the little drop down box, from there you choose the level of access.."Read only" "Read And Write" etc.

7. stuart2102 thread starter macrumors regular

stuart2102

oh so meaning i should access the drop down list? is it enough the word "Read and Write" there? there are 3 options to choose "read & write", "read only" and "write only (dropbox)" but i choose "read & right" and still when i access "stewart suelto" not all folders i can open