on switch

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ditzy, Apr 10, 2008.

1. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

This is going to seem like the stupidist question ever so I'll give a little background before I ask it.

I have a disability that leads me to have very weak muscles. A couple of years back I bought a dell and after about five days I had to return it as I did not have the strength to turn it on.

I ended up replacing it with a HP which I had no problem with as the on button is really no harder to press than a keyboard key.

I know that I'm probably in the end going to have to take myself and my wheelchair to the nearest apple store, but I was wondering how easy it is to turn on the iMac? I'd also like to know the same thing about the mac pro?

Basically is the on button on the imac much harder to press than a keyboard key?

Thanks for answering.

2. JL7 macrumors member

totally easy not any more pressure than a keyboard:D

3. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Turning on a Mac Pro takes about the same level of strength as pushing "Return" on a keyboard. Turning on an iMac takes even less. Seriously, I feel like all I do is graze my finger over it and it turns on.

Hope this helps.

4. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

After turning it on the first time, just put it to sleep. Waking it from sleep is then exactly like pressing a key (or wiggling the mouse).

5. ditzy thread starter macrumors 68000

ditzy

6. jerry1 macrumors member

As has been said, "sleep" mode will be your friend. I've had my iMac for a few months and have turned it "off" maybe 2 or 3 times.

As for using the button though, it's not hard to push but it is on the BACK of the unit in the lower left corner. Reaching back there may prove more difficult than actually pushing the button.

Good luck with your demo visit. I think that is a good idea.

7. Choctaw macrumors 6502

Choctaw

Where there is a will..... there will always be a way.

I don't have a mac pro.. but just got a new iMac. The pressure to turn it on is about equal to pressing on a keyboard. However since the on/off button is located on the back of the screen area. I would tell you that I put my thumb on the front of the screen and pointer finger on the button on the back. Then kind of give it a pinch, rather than just pressing on the back alone. The anatomy of a hand tells us that the strongest part is the thumb. So using both the finger and thumb together with a squeezing method gives an even pressure from back to front. Other wise pushing with just your finger alone on the back portion would add to possibly scooting the system a tad forward each time you attempt to turn it on. Turning off is done by a few mouse clicks. Life is full of using what we have to the best of ones ability. Different strokes for different folks. Good computing ahead for you.
    Choctaw