On the bright side...

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by iNoetic, May 6, 2015.

1. iNoetic macrumors newbie

All of us who are waiting on a June (or later) delivery date may be receiving Watches that are less prone to be defective (faulty Taptic engine, screen defects, etc). I am assuming that Apple's QC/QA is on-point and any issues with the first wave of Watches will be ironed out in the second and third waves?

Just something to keep in mind in case you are still waiting for yours, like I am.

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Good idea, but I kind of suspect "first wave" means April-July and that the "second wave" starts in August or September.

You don't stop machines to tinker with minor details when you're working 24/7 to try and catch up with a backlog.

3. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

This exactly.

4. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

Or maybe not. It'll be more infuriating to receive your watch in June with a faulty vibrator. But kudos for trying to see the glass half full... even if it's delivered half empty.

5. Esexx, May 6, 2015
    Last edited: May 6, 2015

Esexx macrumors 6502

Esexx

I have a black SS to be delivered(?) in June and a grey sport sometime in May.

I was so excited when the first announcement was made as I watch the conference in a local Target parking lot eating lunch. I was frantically texting a friend who was working and couldn't watch.

I saw it, the space black SS! I knew it had to be mine. Fast forward to April 10 at 12:01 PT and the website and app were down. I had my iPad on Macrumors, iMac on apple.com, MacBook Air on apple.com and iPad on the app. Nothing!

Finally, 12:03PT I was in the app. Ordered the black SS then immediately ordered the grey sport for good luck. SS was to be delivered in "June" and sport was May 13-27. Damn!

As time went on, I actually started loosing interest in any AW. I have decided to get rid of the sport when I receive it and replace it with the new G43.

I don't know what I am going to do with the BSS. I might keep it or get rid of it.

I cannot believe that I am actually loosing steam!

6. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

I agree that as production goes along, the system will get dialed in and more predictable. However, I am not sure of your "issues with the first wave" comment. I think all known issues, e.g. taptic engine, were caught before the first watches shipped and that issue was addressed before anyone got a watch; QA was and is kicking the bad ones out before they hit the street. There really are no genuine production issues that seem to be plaguing the general population, that I have read about at least. So actually, it is ->Apple<- who will be doing better down the road by having to eat less bad product runs that never make it out the door. So yes, I agree that people should look forward to getting a watch if they are into it. I know I love mine. But I don't think the "first wave' are suffering any more than future waves will. All else being equal, of course.

7. malreynolds macrumors member

malreynolds

This is the opposite of how modern manufacturing works. This is why EFFA capture is used. Read about Toyota Production System if you want to understand modern just-in-time manufacturing and how they are constantly working to remove defects from the process.

Apple is known to throw away a lot of parts (defective taptic anyone?) to ensure high quality.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, yeah, but I didn't think that's what the OP was talking about. Why would that change between April and July?

Talking about changes per month made me think he's talking about actual manufacturing process changes.

9. srosgen, May 7, 2015
    Last edited: May 7, 2015

srosgen macrumors newbie

It Is True

Apple does make improvements based on early defects. That's why many (as reported in these forums) are asked to return problem devices to engineering group for analysis. I'm not sure how quickly these take effect, but Apple definitely learns from early problems.

[/COLOR]

"You don't stop machines to tinker with minor details when you're working 24/7 to try and catch up with a backlog."

You also don't continue to manufacture massive quantities of a device with known defects simply to achieve scales of efficiency. (That's like selling at a loss and trying to make it up on volume).[/QUOTE]

10. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

Yep

Yep, silver lining. First Gen products you do want because Apple is really trying to build a market. And in some ways it may be the purest form of the design team's vision. But first batch of first Gen, probably not.

Yes the manufacturers are working to tweak their yield rates and improve them EVERY SINGLE DAY. The watches made literally tomorrow are likely to be slightly better than the watches made yesterday because one of the 100 component makers figured out something in its process.