On the fence about AW

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Teddysjam, May 30, 2015.

1. Teddysjam macrumors member

I was going to purchase a Fitbit Surge with heart rate monitor (250.00) wanted something that keeps a better HR while working out in gym then ding a light came on why not pay another 150.00 for the same feature plus all the benefits the AW has to offer to my daily life. The. I been hearing since update that not the HR feature is messed up on AW and doesn't work accurately is this correct? My main reason to purchase this is to use in gym and monitor my activities and use watch without pulling out phone so I'm hoping both options are working properly.

2. AS90 macrumors regular

AS90

3. Teddysjam thread starter macrumors member

??? What's that supposed to mean

4. IllusionEntity macrumors 6502

IllusionEntity

The heart rate monitor not working correctly is a temporary software issue. And the fitbit surge has nowhere near the functionality of the AW

5. PirateP macrumors 6502

PirateP

Not a difficult choice for me.

But if it is for you, perhaps you should rock a Fitbit.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

If going the Fitbit rout, I would not get the Surge unless you got to have GPS. Get the Charge HR which is way smaller and does a great job with the HR. You have to push a button t activate it but it tracks your HR continuously. The Surge displays the time and date all the time and has some iPhone uses but primitive.

I would still get the AW as Apple will have to issue multiple updates, with each getting us a little closer to what we want. It also has some great advantages for iPhone users.

Loving mine and I owned the Surge!

7. DavidsAlterEgo macrumors newbie

DavidsAlterEgo

I'm a big fan of Fitbit, I have the scale and I've owned several different models including the Charge HR and the one I'm currently wearing, the Surge. While the Charge HR was considerably smaller and more attractive I didn't like the fact that I had to hit a button to display time which was the primary reason I upgraded to the Surge.

Using the Surge I soon discovered how much I appreciated the limited notifications and music control it offered which is the primary reason I became interested in the Apple watch. I've only used the GPS function once, I'm not a runner but a cyclist and use a Garmin Edge 800 for that. The heart rate monitor on both the Surge and the Charge HR match the chest strap for the Garmin beat for beat and I was very impressed with its accuracy. I've got about 15 friends and family members in my little Fitbit community which is a huge motivation is reaching my personal goal of at least 15k steps everyday. That's what I'll miss most about switching platforms.

My Apple watch should be here Monday and I'm very eager to try it out and give it a 14 day evaluation.

8. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Don't switch. Get a Fitbit Zip and stay in the Fitbit platform too.

I am in the same boat. I will be both-and with a Fitbit Zip for a while. It seems like everyone I know is in the Fitbit world. So that is where I will stay. But I will also wear my AW everywhere and ditch the Fitbit someday when more people are in the Apple fitness ecosystem.

9. DavidsAlterEgo macrumors newbie

DavidsAlterEgo

Excellent suggestion and you just reminded my I have an old Fitbit One in my desk drawer. Perhaps I'll go back to wearing that again along with the AW. I'll just need to figure out which platform I want to sync with Myfitnesspal.

10. Planepics macrumors regular

Planepics

Been using a fitbit for the last year. Got my :apple:watch a week and a half ago. Wore the two together for a couple of days.
    Step accuracy is fairly consistent over both. The watch, i don't wear at night to track sleep, plus it doesn't really do that except to check heart rate.
    My only problem has been getting my exercise to measure on the watch. I am 61, have been working out on the treadmill at what I thought was a pretty good rate, at least for me. And if I use the indoor walk, i get the steps, but not the credit for the exercise on the rings. If i just register it as OTHER, i get both steps and credit.
    Gave my fitbit to my son the other day. Absolutely LOVE my watch. It works for me!:p