on the fence about buying 160gb ssd

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jetjaguar, Dec 20, 2009.

1. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

im seriously considering replacing my 320gb 7200rpm drive in my 17 mbp .. i dont really need alot of space .. i have maybe 30gb filled up on my current hd .. the speed difference would be nice as well as no vibrations and better battery life ..

but what about flashing firmware .. cant it not be done with a mbp ? u need to connect it to something else ?? what about TRIM ? this isnt a problem with win7 i hear but it is with osx ?

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

3. coast1ja macrumors 6502

TRIM is not supported in OSX

If you really don't need the space, why not go with a 120gb or smaller SSD. I would recommend the OCZ 120gb or Intel 80gb for speed and reliability. The 160gb is just too expensive if you won't use it.

4. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

the intel g2 160gb

i mean im not going to use up 160gb .. but it might be up to maybe 80gb .. not sure .. dont you need to leave about 25% of the drive unused ?

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yeah TRIM is not supported on OSX yet, but SSDs still smokes.

6. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

7. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

and what about the reliability of an SSD drive ?
    There are people speaking about wearing over a few years ... :confused:

8. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

9. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I'd like to have a drive that last for 3-4 years at least

10. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

true .. i meant i would prolly upgrade to a bigger one by then

11. vant macrumors 65816

You should try searching. All of your questions are answered many times before.

You ask opinionated questions like 'Is it a huge performance boost?' but then you fail to realize that people are willing to pay hundreds for a drive that only holds 80GB. It seems common sense to assume that this would probably equate to a huge performance boost if people are willing to pay so much.

12. coast1ja macrumors 6502

YES!

13. thatguysmells macrumors regular

Does anyone know if the Apple supplied SSD's are still PATA or if they are now SATA? I really want to order a 13" MBP with their 256GB SSD, but I can't find any reviews on the Apple supplied drive. :confused:

14. MikeSantor macrumors regular

Im a huge advocate of the Duel HDD mod. A few months ago I was ready to pull the trigger on the G2. When it comes to programs I have about 34Gigs installed at any given moment. Then I looked at all my media. I have over 200Gigs of music, 100Gigs of movies and a couple gigs of pictures and documents. I DEFIANTLY did not want to put out the money to hold all this stuff on an SSD. Then I started looking at how often I use my DVD Drive. to make a long story short, not often.

I ended up going with the 80Gig intel G2, Then did the HDD mod to the DVD drive and swapped out the DVD drive for a Hitachi travelstar 500Gig 7200RPM drive. then when you are JUST tuning programs you can unmount the HDD to save battery. this takes all of 5 seconds to mount and unmount so its easy to do.

This was the best upgrade I have ever done. you can see my MBPs specs in my sig, when im running a few programs with the internet ON via WiFi and the Hitachi unmounted my battery lasts 6.5 hours. With the same programs running Plus itunes playing music, hitachi mounted (thats where my MP3s are) internet on, yada yada yada, My battery lasts 6 hours. With Hitachi unmounted and WiFi turned off, running the same programs the battery lasts almost 7.5 hours.

the Hitachi drive is VERY VERY quiet, VERY low heat and the 7200RPM drive is very fast. I couldn't recommended this setup enough.

BTW, You can buy an external enclosure for the DVD drive you take out for around 30 bucks. This way you DO have a way to run CDs on your MB...

Hopefully I could be of some help by sharing my experience. Good luck with the purchase.

15. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Apple's Macbook Pro only use SATA connectors, so their SSD must be SATA

16. thatguysmells macrumors regular

17. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

if i swap out the stock hdd for the ssd .. and i need to bring in my mbp for applecare .. do i need to swap drives back to stock before i bring it in ... or it doesnt matter

18. thatguysmells macrumors regular

I'm curious, but what is your main reason for wanting the SSD?

19. MikeSantor macrumors regular

ITs Blazing fast...

20. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

Pretty much the same setup, but mine is the 160 Intel SSD, 320 7200 rpm and 8 GB of ram. It really works well, being able to unmount the HDD and going totally silent is a really trick. I went with the MCE Optibay and really like how small the DVD enslosure is, that works well too..

21. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

i want to speed up my mbp .. 8gb is an option and cheaper but the ssd will be so much more noticable

22. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I'm really resisting getting an SSD, I'd like the trim support to become part of OS X before I spend a bunch of $$ on the drive... in a year they will be larger/faster and hopefully more reliable...

23. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

yeap i know but i dont think i can put off getting one

24. thesmoth macrumors 6502

Are you swimming in money? If money is not an issue at all then yes, it is a massive improvement in speed (so i'm told).

But if you're like me (graduate student without a ton of money) it is too expensive and there is not enough space. I'm waiting until they are about 1$/gig so I can get a 200-300 gig intel drive for around $300. In the mean time I got a 320 gig 7200.4 seagate drive for $55 and it is great. Doesn't really feel much faster than the old drive (maybe a tiny bit) but it has lots of space and will tide me over another year or so until the intel drives are affordable.

25. thesmoth macrumors 6502

Question for the optibay people:

My machine is only 5-6 months old and I bought 3 years of apple care, and I know that doing the optibay mod will VOID your warranty IF apple finds out.

If your computer were to crap out would it be easy to drop the optical drive back in without apple noticing? It wouldn't cause any scratching or damage that they could see?

Also could I put the SSD in the regular hard drive space, and the bigger regular hard disc in the optibay?

Does the optibay have a rubber thing like the regular drive area so that it will dampen vibrations?