On the fence about one after the update. Please help!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by BrownManUPS, Jan 18, 2008.

1. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

I just made a bank transfer and am ready to purchase one after intense waiting for Steve to give me something to buy it. I am not really interested in jailbreaking it because I am worried about the warrenties and messing something up and losing my music, etc. etc...so I have a few questions, and hopefully someone can answer:

-- Does the "GPS" thing in Google Maps work if you are not connected to the wi-fi hotspot itself? i.e. does it require connection or can it just sense the spot being there and triangulate that way?

-- If you had to give a ballpark guess as to the battery life if you mainly listen to music but use the wi-fi on a college campus (where it is everywhere). I don't watch that much video.

-- Is the calendar similar looking to iCal and in full color and easy to look at? Or it like the ipod classics/ipod 5th? Screenshot?

-- Is it possible to use some sort of substitute for iChat legally? Does www.meebo.com work? Is this possible in the upcoming SDK?

-- When Apple releases an update like this, what is the likely hood that stores like Wal-Mart already have the new 1.1.3 touch in box?

2. zirkle2007 macrumors 6502

zirkle2007

From what I've seen, you do need to be connected to a wireless network for the 'Locate Me' to work.

As to battery life I'm not too sure. I use mine throughout the day, music, wifi, and some video. It lasts me the day. I usually charge at night though because I'm syncing daily. I use the Calendar feature a lot.

That brings us to the calendar. It looks A LOT like iCal. And works much the same way. Just adapted to a touch screen. Its full color just like iCal too, none of the crappy stuff from the normal iPods.

Not sure about a iChat substitute.

I doubt Wal-Mart has the new 1.1.3. I'm not sure though. They usually buy a lot and have back stock. If it doesn't though you are still eligible for the free upgrade because you bought it after the announcement. At least thats what I understand. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Hope that helps.

3. Osprey macrumors 6502

From what others have said, you only get the free upgrade if you buy from Apple, but people are reporting that some of the retailers are dropping their price to compensate for the $20 fee.

4. BrownManUPS thread starter macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

I'm so glad the iCal looks really nice on touch. That was one big deal maker for me...and that the skyhook towers work without necessarily being connected to them. Though if someone can confirm that fact that would be great..

I'm sure an iChat will come around with the SDK or perhaps some webapp.

5. zirkle2007 macrumors 6502

zirkle2007

6. BrownManUPS thread starter macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

7. BrownManUPS thread starter macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

Woo!

Just bought mine! Ahh don't you love that feeling of opening something new from apple?

8. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I bought my Touch the day of Steve Jobs key note address...bought it at Costco. I love the interface and the new apps are very nice. As for maps, I really don't see it as a replacement for a gps unit. I have a portable Garmin Nuvi, which I love. I've got some travel coming up soon and most hotels and airports have wifi these days. It will be nice to check in for my flights from my Touch!!

9. jimkraz macrumors newbie

Go get it, I'm just a kick on the bum from being sixty, love boys toys, this is the best yet, ok, I cant drag and drop like my other older mp3 player, a creative photo micro 8gig, wifes got that now, and a older creative jukebox, this is tomorrows stuff, just updated last night, all seems faster and steadier, we'll see. Jim