On the fence about purchasing a Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by graln1k, Mar 25, 2008.

  1. graln1k macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2006
    #1
    I am a soon-to-be college graduate interested in editing. I am pretty well grounded in FCP, but I want to learn Avid to make myself more marketable. Thus far, I've been editing on a 2.4 C2D Macbook Pro, and the export / render times for HD are decent but are starting to get on my nerves.

    So, is there an upgrade to the Mac Pro line within the next 3 months, or am I safe buying now. Also, what spec do you guys recommend for the newest version of Avid Xpress? I was thinking of opting for 4gb (or even 8?) of ram, but what else do you guys recommend.
     
  2. Akula971 macrumors regular

    Akula971

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2006
    Location:
    Perfidious Albion
    #2
    As many people will no doubt tell you, there is always an upgrade around the corner. Ask yourself this, "do you need it now?" If so then buy it! If not then do you really need it at all?....If in doubt do without!

    Personally I bought my Pro a few weeks ago and it has done everything i've asked it to. I even use it as a windows box for games with bootcamp.
     
  3. gazfocus macrumors 68000

    gazfocus

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2008
    Location:
    Liverpool, UK
    #3
    I doubt there will be an update for the Mac Pro within the next 3 months. They last update was January and the update before that was 12 months previous.

    I will be buying a Mac Pro when they are next updated but I am not expecting the update until January 2009 (giving me time to save for it).
     
  4. yoak macrumors 65816

    yoak

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2004
    Location:
    Oslo, Norway
    #4
    I finally had to buy a Mac Pro, due to an upcoming project. We decided yesterday and got it today (writing on it right now). We needed it asap, but I was quite happy to buy it now as it´s not long ago it was updated (Jan) and I feel it will be "the latest" for a little while, although that really didn´t matter.
    It was a relief to have to buy, not waiting for upgrades.
    In your shoes I would probably wait as long as I could since it dosen´t sound like you don´t need it as such.
     
  5. graln1k thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2006
    #5
    Do you guys have any recommendations for what specs I should watch for in terms of an Avid setup?
     
  6. nick9191 macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2008
    Location:
    Britain
    #6
    The last update was in Jan 08, and the one before that was June 06!
     
  7. Roy macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2006
    #7

    August 7, 2006 First Mac Pro

    January 8, 2008 Mac Pro upgraded

    511 days for the upgrade.
     

Share This Page