On the fence in Canada

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by carlop, Oct 17, 2007.

1. carlop macrumors newbie

Ok ok, I know what you guys are going to say when you start reading this: "ughh.. not another person asking if they should buy now or wait...".

Well, my situation is different. I'm ready to buy now (I actally want a copy of both tiger and leopard). The only thing is, I'm in Canada. As you all probably know, the canadian dollar is doing much better than it was a couple months ago. Its is now prety much on par (or better as of yesterday) as the US dollar.

My question is, should I wait to see if Apple will adjust their prices? Or will they only adjust them when the new MBPs (oh yea, I want to get a mbp) are released... whenever that may be? I mean, this is 200$ were talking about.

I tried the 1800 number, and the guy on the phone wouldn't give me the US price, or allow me to buy it and get it shipped to an address in the us.

Now we know apple will adjust the prices down the line since they did it for leopard, the only thing is, how long till they do it for the hardware?

Thanx,

Carlop.
    PS: This will make me a first time mac owner.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

They usually only adjust prices when new hardware/software is introduced or upgraded.

3. Trepex macrumors 6502a

Trepex

Unfortunately for us, the prices aren't likely to change. It's true that our dollar is currently on par, but the US dollar still has far more buying power in the US than the loonie has in Canada. It's going to keep getting cheaper for Canadians to buy US goods priced in American dollars across the border, but you aren't likely to see any price drops on products sold in Canada.

4. antibact1 macrumors 6502

They won't adjust the prices on existing products, but they certainly will on new ones. I don't know if anyone has looked, but the academic pricing for Leopard on the Apple Store is $116 US on the American store, but is $115 CAN on the Canadian store. I know it's just a dollar, but it's more the fact of the matter. If a new machine comes out, I would expect it to cost less in Canada than the US.

5. Spritey macrumors regular

Spritey

I basically ordered my refurb MBP of the American website, had it shipped to an American friend's house and next time we met I got my shiny MBP.

Edit: No problem using my international credit card at the time. So don't CALL Apple and try to order through the American store, just go to Apple.com type in you Canadian billing address, and then an American shipping address. (they will NOT ship it to Canada if you try)

And since I sold my MBP to my brother recently (back home MBPs are selling for USD 3900), next time I get my MBP I'm stopping by New Hampshire on my way to Boston to avoid the sales tax.

It's basically a way of "indirect" currency speculation I guess...

Then again, it's important if you were to get the MBP in the US to take travel costs into consideration. Then it might not be as lucrative anymore. So don't do it unless you go there for some other purpose.

But if you've got patience to make expensive purchases when on vacation in the US, it's totally worth saving the extra couple of hundred dollars

6. carlop thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I guess that means I'm getting my new MBP this weekend!! :)