iPhone X on the fence: Max vs XS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SHKLMRE, Sep 24, 2018.

1. SHKLMRE macrumors 6502

did anyone else get the Xs Max and is on the fence about the size? I still have my old X, and I think the size was perfect. I am liking the bigger screen but I’m not fully sold on it just yet. I’ve had every Plus sized phone before this.

I am excited Apple finally gave both phones the same features... when the 7 Plus was released, the dual cameras was the biggest reason to upgrade. Now that both phones have the same exact features with the exception of display size, it’s tough to decide.

2. profets macrumors 601

I saw the Max in person and thought it was incredible. This is also after using the X since launch and absolutely loving the size of it, lol.

I've gone back and forth with phone sizes: 6 Plus -> 6s -> 7 Plus -> X.

Still love the X and am not upgrading this year, but next year will likely go to the Max. There's also been a handful of rumours pointing to 3 lens system on the 2019 iPhones. I wonder if that will be a Max only feature or if both OLED iPhones will get that.

3. tjhassan macrumors member

I got the Max, although it’s the first plus sized iPhone I was able to use comfortably, After a few days use - thinking about swapping for a regular Xs.

4. Nikhil72 macrumors 65816

Definitely on the fence. It’s a gorgeous piece of hardware and feels so much better than the Pluses ever did (and I had all three pluses before X). But the X was a great size.

The display is so gorgeous though and I’m not sure I want the battery hit, so giving it a week or so before I decide.

5. SHKLMRE thread starter macrumors 6502

Yup. This will be my third full day using it and I’m going to give it a few more days to get comfortable.

6. SHKLMRE thread starter macrumors 6502

As weird as it seems, it
    Happy to know I’m not the only one on the fence haha.

7. Flipadelphia26 macrumors member

8. ant the ninja macrumors 6502

ant the ninja

Had the 6S plus and 7 Plus then the X, Upgraded to the XS Max from the X and got it launch day. Went to Apple on Saturday and swapped it for the XS. I loved the Max, it was just too big for me. I didn't love the size, I found the X/XS were the perfect size for me.

Although the screen on the Max was perfect, I find I have a bit of the greenish/pinkish hue fade when you move the phone around on a white background on my XS which is a tad annoying but I understand it comes with OLED sometimes.

9. jeffu macrumors member

I’m in the same boat, I’ve had all the Plus phones and last year switched to the X. I loved the size of the X, it seems so reasonable and easily pocketable.

I went with the Max and I’m really on the fence too. I’m very happy they both have the same specs, the Xs and the Max, but that makes it even harder.

The Max is also a very tight fit in my car holder.

Love the screen, but in the end other than that there may be no reason to go large? Movies? I use my iPad.

10. tonybarnaby macrumors 65816

I’d expect both. It doesn’t seem like apple is gimping the smaller phones anymore.

11. seasurfer macrumors 6502a

I upgraded to the Max from the X. Now I am find myself missing the smaller form factor. The smaller size is just easier to carry around in my pocket.

12. 3rdiguy macrumors 65816

3rdiguy

I've been using Plus iPhones since they were introduced. No going back for me. To each their own

13. Scott G. macrumors regular

I love the size of the XS. It's perfect. It doesn't feel too big in the pocket and the screen size is perfect for the smaller size of the phone.

14. SuperDan89 macrumors newbie

It's a tough one to pick, the big screen or the one handed comfort! For me, comfort won out in the end.

15. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

This question isn’t new or unique for the XS/XS Max, but the same old dilemma for the reg vs Plus size iPhones in all previous generations.

It all comes down to what is the maximum size of phone that you are comfortable carrying around.

16. clarencek macrumors regular

I actually find the Max harder to use than the plus models because you don’t have bezels and nothing really to hold on to.

I’m undecided. The X I could use one handed. The Max I can’t. I could with the plus because there were areas to rest my fingers or palm.
    Will give it a few more days.

17. royinla14 macrumors 6502

I had the x and upgraded to the max last Friday. Today I returned it for the Xs and happy to be back with the ‘smaller’ size which is bigger than my previous phones (never had a plus phone). I think for those coming from a plus there’s almost no question the max is absolutely perfect. For those coming from 6,7,8 or x I can see it goes either way. For me personally the lighter weight and size of the xs is preferable.

18. sargein macrumors member

Had a similar conundrum. Pre-ordered and received the XS, but then started second-guessing myself. After checking XS Max out at Apple store, am happily staying with the smaller XS. The size is *just* right while balancing size for my hands and size for viewing. Lower weight also keeps it good for long holding-and-browsing sessions. And finally, IMO, if the phone was on a table, I would have to think to pick it up if it was the MAX due to both size and weight, while XS I would pick without a thought.

19. UnifiedMelody macrumors regular

UnifiedMelody

The XS and XS Max are same internally in terms of performance. The only difference is battery life and screen size. That's it.

I like my XS Max because i like big phones and i always two hand my phones so it was a no brainer, this is just personal preference. Some might want to have a pocketable phone [hence XS is a better contender] but want all that performance still.

20. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

In a similar boat. I had every Plus model (6, 6s, 7 and 8) before picking the X up on launch day. Hated the X at first. I complained for months that it was too cramped and the battery life was horrendous, coming from the width and battery of the Plus sized phones. Typing was my big issue with the X. Got the Max on launch day, and honestly love the keyboard so much- but I realized I loved everything else about the X. Having a very difficult time, especially because Apple hasn’t sent me my kit to send the X back yet and I keep going back to it and thinking it might be the better size.

21. AeroUK macrumors 6502

AeroUK

Agree and while the Max screen is gorgeous and the extra battery life is appreciated I just wish that the software was optimized more. I don't see why it cannot run split screen apps and PiP etc. I am thinking of switching to the XS tomorrow...

22. metacove1 macrumors member

I had every plus sized phone leading up until the X. I was extremely excited and preordered the XS Max. In the past the plus sized phones had other advantages as well. This year the only advantage is more screen real estate.

After a year with the iPhone X form factor I grew to love it. I second guessed myself getting the XS Max all the way until I returned it this morning and had that familiar more convenient XS form factor in hand. No Max for me. I'm happy at 5.8. I'm glad they have given us all options.

I agree that those coming from a Plus model to the Max will mostly be happy. For those of us who went from a Plus to the X the screen size stayed fairly similar only slightly narrower. I appreciate the narrower grip as it's a bit easier to hold and distribute the weight.

Another factor that has bothered me. On the plus models I just pressed a button to unlock the phone which allowed me to continue to securely grip the device. Now that I have to swipe up it seems to put my device at risk if I try to do that one handed with my thumb. I have to hold the device at the very bottom making it rather top heavy in my grip. Then when I swipe up I lose some of the security I have in gripping the phone as my thumb is pushing up. Does that make sense ?

Overall I realized how much I enjoy the 5.8 form factor. I needed the Max to know that. The 6.1 could be the perfect middle ground though.

23. corriewf macrumors 6502a

On the fence as well. After years of 5.5 inch screens, it’s the width that bothers me. Can’t count how many times I’ve clicked something with the meat of my thumb. It’s super annoying. I appreciate the screen of the Max, but I think the point of having a revolutionary technology such as edge to edge screen is enjoying a large screen in a small form factor. Increasing the form factor just seems like a step backwards.

When it comes to consuming media, I do it on much larger devices. If I had to consume media on my phone, a half inch or so wouldn’t make a difference to me.

24. jgiannakas macrumors member

I had an X and moved to the max. If I were you and didn’t like the max I would return it and keep the X. There is literally imperceptible difference between the X and the XS so not worth the money in my view. The max has the larger screen going for it. If you don’t like it save the money this year.

25. sWirL84 macrumors newbie

coming from a Pixel 2 XL, the switch to Max is so natural. Loving the MAX.