Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ejilol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2011
I currently have a Evo 3d that is starting to show it's age (curse you android), and just ordered a 4s through sprints website (3 week back order).

Now the one thing that has me doubting my order is the screen size. I read on my phone a lot. I use pulse to keep myself in the loop very often. Do you guys think the screen size is a big deal?
Mainly aiming that question to people who have switched from a phone with a large screen to the iPhone.

I have been wanting to try out iOS for a while now, but paying full retail on the phone has me wanting to reassure myself that i made the right decision or if i should hold back for the 5.

Three weeks is plenty of time for my refund.

Thanks for your input!

ste1164

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2009
Nope I can switch from phones as big as the Evo 3Ds to the size of ones on a blackberry and it doesn't bother me at all.

awer25

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2011
Just out of curiosity, if you have Sprint, why pay full retail price?

Ejilol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2011
My two year agreement doesn't end until april of next year.

Fall3n13

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2009
I just picked up a 4s from owning a thunderbolt and even though the screen is smaller, the resolution is so good that I don't need to zoom in to read text. I'm happy with my purchase and jumping back to iOS

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Coming from a Verizon Thunderbolt, I can tell you that the iPhone 4S screen is TINY. Yes, yes, yes, it is very sharp. It is tiny nonetheless. You will not confuse your iPhone 4S with an eBook reader. If you read a lot, also get an iPad.

Also, I'd cancel that Sprint order. Pay the early termination fee and go with Verizon or AT&T. Sprint is the worse one of the three you can pick.

Good luck!

szolr

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
London, UK
Now the one thing that has me doubting my order is the screen size.

Well the 4S, like the 4, has the retina display. So very high resolution. I don't know-it may be higher than your old phone's? I mean nowadays screen size is less of an issue as high res spreads across the board.

But again, we can only advise on here... We can't tell you what's best for you specifically.

wellok

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
I came from a Droid X and was worried about screen size too. Hasn't bothered me a bit.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
so you are asking a bunch of strangers on a Iphone forum for advice. Hmmm I'm clueless as to how this thread is going to go. Go look at some phones decide what matters to you.

ryuu55

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2011
I came from a 4.3" screen, I thought it was going to be a major issue for me. I was surprised how easily I adjusted to the screen size. No probs here, but I wouldn't mind if Apple increased it up to 4" in the next release or later...

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
I didn't switch from a phone with bigger screen size, but I do read a lot on it. Clarity is amazing, but I imagine you'd have to hold it a little closer to your eyes than if you had a bigger phone. Not like super close though haha.

Double tap to zoom and pinch to zoom are also very fluid if you run into any issues.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I came from a 4.3" screen, I thought it was going to be a major issue for me. I was surprised how easily I adjusted to the screen size. No probs here, but I wouldn't mind if Apple increased it up to 4" in the next release or later...

Well of course, this is human nature. We adapt. It's not like we can make the iPhone screen bigger. The only choice is to get rid of it for a larger screen phone. And most people who invest in an iPhone are unlikely going to do that.

I find myself using my iPhone less and less and reaching for my Galaxy Tab 8.9 more and more....

Of course I carry my iPhone with me all the time vs. the tablet...

Ejilol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2011
Coming from a Verizon Thunderbolt, I can tell you that the iPhone 4S screen is TINY. Yes, yes, yes, it is very sharp. It is tiny nonetheless. You will not confuse your iPhone 4S with an eBook reader. If you read a lot, also get an iPad.

Also, I'd cancel that Sprint order. Pay the early termination fee and go with Verizon or AT&T. Sprint is the worse one of the three you can pick.

Good luck!

My job pays for my bill, so sticking with sprint saves me money :p.

Is the reader functionailty on the iPhone useful in the cases where you have to read?

I'm waiting for reviews on the kindle fire to go ahead and purchase it.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Is the reader functionailty on the iPhone useful in the cases where you have to read?
I never thought it'd be useful until the one time I tried it. I ended up reading multiple articles (erm, summaries of chapters of a book) for almost an hour. I was surprised to see how much it actually helped.

Probably doesn't compete to using a tablet though. haha

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
play with an iphone 4 in an apple store (screes for both are same size and same res.). if you find it ok for you, get it. It is quite easy to test it out.

Alternatively i am sure a carrier store will have a demo iPhone available.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
I currently have a Evo 3d that is starting to show it's age (curse you android), and just ordered a 4s through sprints website (3 week back order).

Now the one thing that has me doubting my order is the screen size. I read on my phone a lot. I use pulse to keep myself in the loop very often. Do you guys think the screen size is a big deal?
Mainly aiming that question to people who have switched from a phone with a large screen to the iPhone.

I have been wanting to try out iOS for a while now, but paying full retail on the phone has me wanting to reassure myself that i made the right decision or if i should hold back for the 5.

Three weeks is plenty of time for my refund.

Thanks for your input!

Everyone is different but years ago before I went to the iPhone had used an iPaq 4700 that had a bigger screen. In fact a year before I had scoffed at the iPhone's smaller screen (it just came out). Things changed and I ended up with an iPhone. I found that I didn't really miss the size difference and the screen size was negligible (but the size difference of fitting in my purse was so much nicer).

Anyways, that's why I actually don't want a bigger screen. Been there, done that, and found it really doesn't make that big a difference but it sure is nicer having a smaller device that fits better in my purse and pocket.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.