All iPads On the fence with new 4th gen order.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Toopicky, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Toopicky macrumors newbie

I'm about to order my WIFi+Cellular ipad (4th gen) and have a couple of questions.

The Verizon model:
    • Is it any different from the AT&T model?
    • Is it unlocked?
    • When I travel to say Europe can I pull the SIM (if it has one) and put in prepaid SIM and use Data traffic that way?
    • Could I even use a SIM from another domestic carrier?
    • Can I use tethering? with the $30 plan? And is it truly month to month?
    The AT&T model:
    I really dont have many questions on this since i have a grandfatherd iPhone plan with them so I know about the plans and such.... except is it locked to AT&T? and could I use another carriers SIM in Europe or here in the US?
    :confused:
    Thankful for any answers!

2. phillypharm macrumors regular

[*]Is it any different from the AT&T model?
    Just the lte bands

[*]Is it unlocked?
    If it's like the iphone 5, then it should be on verizon. the FCC said verizon could not lock any lte devices

[*]When I travel to say Europe can I pull the SIM (if it has one) and put in prepaid SIM and use Data traffic that way?
    yes, but not sure about lte, def on 3g, but not sure if the lte bands match up

[*]Could I even use a SIM from another domestic carrier?
    yes, you can use 3g from all the carriers.

[*]Can I use tethering? with the $30 plan? And is it truly month to month?
    all the new data plans on verizon include mobile hotspot and yes you can cancel at any time

[/LIST]
    The AT&T model:
    I really dont have many questions on this since i have a grandfatherd iPhone plan with them so I know about the plans and such.... except is it locked to AT&T? and could I use another carriers SIM in Europe or here in the US?

I believe theirs is locked, but not sure.

3. Toopicky thread starter macrumors newbie

Outstanding!

I'm getting the verizon one then:D

4. EricJD macrumors regular

Aren't all iPads unlocked for HSPA+ use? When you choose AT&T or Verizon, you're just picking which LTE radio you want.

5. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

As an aside, the resale value for the at&t has been higher for each model on gazelle.