On the Fence

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rugmankc, Oct 14, 2014.

1. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

Coming from years on Android and no Fanboy of either System. Just what works best for me personally. Plus other family members are heavy Apple users. I have played with the Plus in an Appple Store. Even updated one phone to 8.0.2. Of the two phones I tried, the one I updated and another on 8.0 still had slight stutters. No problem for me as Android does too and updates, hopefully, will improve that.

Some concerns I can/can't test in Store:

1. Does the taller form factor present an unwieldy or top heavy feel to phone. Seemed to a little bit for me. I have a 5" Galaxy S4 now.

2. Even with adjusting text size some apps do not respond and text is very small. I can try Zoom, but not sure if you lose any important real estate doing that. Ones I use most are Safari/Browsers and Google News. Maybe some other News apps will do better. Most don't seem to support Pinch to Zoom.

3. Haven't seen how My Google Accts will look, size and layout etc. GMail/Calendar/Contacts. I read I can import them. Not sure if that means they stay on the Google apps or are imported into ios apps. I have already put Music etc into iTunes and Contacts on iCloud. Also pics to iPhoto and imported Google Calendar to Safari. But, not 100% sure I want to use those apps. I would like to transfer all to ios apps at some point though.

Thanks for any insight--:)

2. dcharleyultra macrumors 6502

On the Fence

1. My iPhone 6 Plus feels well balanced to me.
    3. I came from Android too. All my contacts, email and calendar are still in the Google apps. I don't use the iOS Google apps. I use the native iPhone mail app, and the Mailbox app so that I can add attachments.
    I use the native calendar app. I use Google carddav to get my contact changes pushed to the native Contacts app.

3. rugmankc thread starter Contributor

rugmankc

Thanks dc

Could just be the way I hold it with the security cable attached.

I will look into carddav

4. dcharleyultra macrumors 6502

Using carddav will give you two groups for each Gmail account. I simply uncheck the non-carddav group in Contacts-> Groups.

Unfortunately, iOS 8 seems to reset all my Groups all the time.

5. rugmankc thread starter Contributor

rugmankc

I did some reading up on carddav. I don't think I will have issues with any of the accounts. Gotta be easier than rooting phones. Plus my one son and his wife have had iPhones from the start.

Don't like that word reset--lol

But, I am big on backups anyway, anyhow. Had to get into that habit flashing roms.

6. dcharleyultra macrumors 6502

On the Fence

It's much easier, as is jailbreaking the iPhone

If you have any issues, just holler. (I came from an S3 to an iPhone 5s, now 6 Plus. I still have my rooted stock Kit Kat S3. I also still have my rooted HTC Evo.)

7. rugmankc thread starter Contributor

rugmankc

Haven't looked into jailbreaking for a long time. Does it give you all the customization rooting and rom flashing does on Android? We were always running OS's before their US releases on carriers like ATT. However, that is what I am burned out on. So, won't be doing that for awhile.

8. dcharleyultra macrumors 6502

I was on Sprint then, now Verizon.

No, not the same freedom. One has to keep the same "ROM", but can tweak the OS and add apps that can access the OS, enhancing the iPhone experience. My iPhone 5s and iPad 4 are still jailbreaked on iOS 7.1.2.

9. rugmankc thread starter Contributor

rugmankc

Yeah, don't remember much about it. My one son gave the other a 3g and remember something about redsnow. But, never did jailbreak it. Son didn't want too. Long time ago though. I know if you take a new ios it removes the jailbreak. Kinda like an OTA.

Kinda weird being the noob after years of flashing roms and helping dozens of Android noobs get started.

10. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

I felt the same way when I held the phone in the store the first day but the security cable was definitely the culprit. I got mine on release so no chance to play around with them, went in knowing I wanted a Plus because of the battery and more screen real estate.

The phone feels great in my hand, and I am a women with not very large hands. I pick up my husband's 6 to do something on it and after using my phone it feels small.

As for the apps, I have always used iOS apps on my phone but I know several people who use the Google calendar and gmail app with a lot of success. They are mostly people coming from Android who want what they are used to, but I think most end up switching to the native apps after a while because they're just easier to navigate to on the phone. Good luck wish your decision and enjoy whichever phone you choose! :apple:

11. rugmankc thread starter Contributor

rugmankc

Thanks ladytonya,

Size shouldn't pose an issue, just need to get use to the taller form.

My one son is pushing me to go all ios apps. He loathes Google anything. lol GMail is what would be the biggest issue as I have MANY accounts for years that would need changed to a new email. I am not aware I can use ios mail app with my GMail address. Maybe I am wrong. If so, then that would be a no brainer--:)

12. shook187 macrumors member

On the Fence

I'm a Android lifer with well over 2k post on the XDA forum and so far the iPhone 6+ and iOS experience has been pleasant...and all my Google Apps have work fine on iOS.

OP, I say go for it you won't be missing too much from android unless your flashaHolick

13. rugmankc thread starter Contributor

rugmankc

I was a flashaholic, back to the early Cyanogen and Modaco days and my Nexus One. Seems from all the comments, I'll have no issue. Now to fork out 849.00 for a "phone" :eek:

14. dcharleyultra macrumors 6502

There's no issue with Gmail accounts and the native iOS mail app.

15. rugmankc thread starter Contributor

rugmankc

Thanks dc

Wow, I am now wanting to run out and get one today--fat chance on that. I have been doing istocknow and stopping by store. May call in too, doubt if they will hold one--never asked.

16. macduke Suspended

macduke

If you're referring to the new "Display Zoom" setting, yeah when you turn that on you are essentially turning the Plus display into the display on the regular iPhone 6, just sharper. The same setting on the 6 turns it into the 5S display. So you see a little bit less, everything is a little bit bigger, but most important (at least to me) is that you lose all the iPad Nano type UI goodness that the Plus has vs. the regular 6.

17. rugmankc thread starter Contributor

rugmankc

thanks mac, kinda thought it was that way. i can probably find apps to replace the ones i use that will allow text to enlarge. i can still read it. but, would be easier on my old eyes it was a little bigger. some apps i tried in store did that, just not all. :)

18. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

I thought it seemed a bit top-heavy as well when I first received my 6 Plus on launch day. However, after a few days using the phone, it no longer felt awkward to hold/handle. I do hope they reduce the bezels/footprint in future models, though. There is a lot of room for improvement in that regard and also in software optimization to take advantage of the phablet screen. I am hoping to see greater breadth of accessory availability soon as well.

19. rugmankc thread starter Contributor

rugmankc

glad you got use to it koigirl. :)

I know I will. Think I was just holding it a little too low.

I get all this good feedback from everyone on my concerns solidifying my desire to buy the plus and probably won't find any in the immediate future. :(

20. rugmankc thread starter Contributor

rugmankc

Well I got the 64g 6 Plus Space Grey--:apple:

Walked in to Apple Store just play with both sizes not expecting stock. But, they did. Beautiful with issues so far. Sound is very good.

I will have to wait till tonite when my will be available on iCloud setup. He is watching the Apple Event on his Apple TV. A diehard Apple Fan.

He wants me on all Apple, not sure I am ready for that. I downloaded GMail and Maps. I don't want to mess up what he wants to do by signing into my Google Acct and syncing it then messing up what he wants to do on iCloud.

I used Apple Maps on way home and seemed to work well. Even with my "old folks" Cocoon polarized sunglasses.

Time to sell the Rooted Galaxy S4 to help pay for this--;)

I may use this thread for future help, although I think a new one with appropriate title would get quicker response--:)

21. rugmankc thread starter Contributor

rugmankc

I am now "off the fence" :)

After several days all my concerns are gone and doubt I will return to Android. Many personal reasons which aren't relevant here.

1. Phone is not too big and synthetic Apple case is great. May have to blow out bottom on occasion though, as ports are not covered. Use to a leather pouch.

2. Have exp no stutter or Safari issues. Only issue was rotation stopped, which I know has been an issue for some. I went in and enabled Zoom then re-enabled standard. Whether that by itself or the phone rebooting did the trick, don't know. Fine now. I was putting it upside down in cupholder in car and in my pocket for a few days to keep open bottom from touching anything. The covered corners probably protect it enough anyway. Will install 8.1 Monday.

3. Emails/Gmails are a little different as there is no push except for my new iCloud email. I understand why and that's Ok. Will probably move as much to Apple as possible. Buy, need Gmail as my work email is tied to Google. Not Exchange/Business acct though.

4. Siri as been perfect so far and iMessage/Facetime has got me more communication with my out of state "Apple/iPhone" diehard son. Sound is also great, well above my Galaxy S4 which I now need to sell.

5. I still need to keep Google Calendar. But, iCalendar does fine on phone/iMac. However doesn't seem to stay synced when I open it in iCloud. Not sure it is suppose to. I did wind up with some dups when transferring Google cal to iCal. Very few though and not an issue.

22. rugmankc thread starter Contributor

rugmankc

I do have one thing to work out. And may need to ask elsewhere.

I had an Apple ID for several years to purchase from Itunes. Only did a handful of purchases and nothing I need "receipts" for. I made a new Apple ID with an iCloud email address.

So, I tied iMessage/FaceTime to iCloud email and left Gmail address tied to iTunes. I have backed up to iCloud thru phone using iCloud Apple ID and to computer thru iMac with GMail Apple ID. Contacts also are in iCloud. On contacts I have attached some avatars and made some custom ringtones for them and for phone.

On iTunes I have copied into it over the years all my pictures and music and now have them on phone. And, wow I need to learn exactly how this syncing works so as not to delete stuff on phone when I sync new stuff.

That is where my issue may lie as I know it is not good to use 2 Apple IDs. When I synced 3 movies to iPhone from iTunes then tried 3 more the first 3 were erased. I got it worked out and not sure if I had sync only checked items checked.

Even now if I want to sync new item and check only them I get a reply that items on phone will be erased. Learning curve I guess.

What I want to do is have iPhone and iMac tied to cloud thru my iCloud email/Apple ID only. Thus one Apple ID with iCloud email. And not use GMail Apple ID. I don't have any thing important on there, and can set up credit card etc on iCloud email account with new Apple ID.

The concern part is not losing everything I put on iTunes thru GMail Apple ID.

Can that be done and how. I have read numerous articles on all this, but haven't seen losing iTunes music/pics etc mentioned.

Thanks--:apple:

23. rugmankc thread starter Contributor

rugmankc

One last comment on this Apple ID/Syncing issue.

When I bring up iTunes all pics/movies/tones are there. And still on phone.

When I plug in phone an check under On Device all things show up there.

But, while phone is plugged in and go to choices under Summary and check Music nothing shows. This happened before then they came back some how. If I select Sync all it says:

"Are you sure you want to remove existing music, movies, TV shows, books, and tones from this iPhone and sync with this iTunes library?"

"Music, movies, TV shows, books, and tones synced to “Ken's iPhone” from other iTunes libraries will be removed and items will be synced from this iTunes library."

I can't select checked items only and just have to select cancel.

When I check Movies they show but are kinda greyed out. If I check Sync All I get the same warning.

May be the 2 Apple IDs or user error.

So, I don't mind going to one Apple ID just don't want to lose items in my current GMail Apple ID iTunes.

Confusing I know, just my last hurdle to having everything 100% :)