On the Horns of a Dilemma

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rayward, Jul 22, 2008.

1. rayward macrumors 68000

The volume rocker button on my original iPhone is stuck in the "up" position. For now that's not a problem as it means that the ringer is at full volume. There is also the minor irritation that the translucent ringer volume meter comes on a stays on some of the time. I have to sleep-wake cycle the phone to get rid of it. However, there will come a day soon when I'm using the iPhone as an iPod with earbuds, and it's going to be jammed on full, with no ability to lower the volume.

I was hoping that my friendly, neighborhood genius could simply open the case and release the volume rocker. Unfortunately, they don't repair units in the store (or elsewhere), they just replace them. As mine is a Day #1 unit, it's out of warranty.

So here's the dilemma. I really, really want to wait for a 32GB unit to come out before upgrading to a 3G phone. But I expect to be traveling quite a bit in the near future, where the iPod element of the phone is essential. I have an iPod classic, but that's no good for movies.

So, I have to give up movies for now and carry both the iPhone and iPod for trips. Or upgrade to a 16 gig iPhone, and then wait 18 months before I can step up to 32 gigs, although they may be even bigger by then.

Tough call.

2. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

3. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

First, I love the thread title.

Second, depending on you definition of "stuck in the up position" would a little bit of tape binding the down button help?

4. rayward thread starter macrumors 68000

Unfortunately, no. Holding down the "down" button just causes the two to fight each other, so the volume indicator just flicks back and forth between full, and one block short of full.

5. rayward thread starter macrumors 68000

That could work.

6. D35P3R4T0 macrumors member

7. jeniferkey macrumors member

My old iPhone was stuck in the down position. I could use my fingernail to pop it loose and get it to move. If something even grazed it, it would go back to no volume.
    I wanted to wait for the 32 also (quite happy with the first phone), but the volume issue was too much. I bought one of the new 16g. It looks like I'll still have more than enough room, even with apps.
    I passed on the 'sort of broken one' to DH. He needed a phone, and has an .mp3 player for his music right now. So far it works for his needs.

8. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

My 1st gen had similar issues after a few drops had warped the metal back so I just man handled it against a desk to force it back into place, couldn't get it perfect but was good enough.

9. rayward thread starter macrumors 68000

Problem Solved!

Well, as it turns out, I didn't have a problem.

I discovered that I can use the on-screen slider to control the volume of the iPod function, regardless of what's happening with the volume rocker switch. I had assumed that this would just max out because the "up" button is jammed on, but that's not the case. I can adjust the volume of whatever I'm watching or listening to, and it holds where I set it. I just have to live with the minor inconvenience that I have to do it on-screen instead of using the external volume buttons.

That's good enough for me to last until the 32GB model comes out! Whew!

10. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

That's odd, I thought that even after adjusting it onscreen it would still slide up due to the rocker switch, making you a soon to be stone deaf heavy metal rocker. :D

I'll second the nice thread title. In order to keep those horns away from you make sure your backside is against the wall at all times. This of course does nothing to stop the bull in the neighboring room from spearing you through the wall, but certainly cuts down the chances.