On the market for an inkjet all-in-one printer

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by skaertus, Mar 29, 2015.

1. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

I am on the market for a new printer. This is what I would like: an all-in-one color printer with wi-fi connectivity.

As I live in Brazil, I don't have the same choices as you guys do elsewhere in the world. My choices are pretty limited and I cannot just buy a printer in the US or somewhere else because (i) the companies do not offer worldwide warranty; (ii) I cannot buy ink for printers not sold here in Brazil; and (iii) I have nobody to buy the printer for me in other country.

I know it will be an inkjet printer as laser printers do not offer all this functionality for a decent price here. The main brands here are HP and Epson for inkjet printers. Canon would be a third option, but far less popular.

So, I should choose one from the following models:

- Epson L355
    - Epson Expression XP-214
    - Epson Expression XP-411
    - HP Officejet Pro 6230
    - HP Officejet Pro 8620
    - HP Deskjet 3546
    - Canon Pixma MG3510

These are basically the main options to consider. I would like to buy the printer based on the following parameters:

(i) quality of output (text)
    (ii) quality of output (color, including photo)
    (iii) color fidelity
    (iv) print speed
    (v) reliability
    (vi) cost/benefit (including price of ink)

I cannot find any review in the Internet comparing these printers or similar hardware.

Before buying a laser printer, I had some printers. I had an Epson Stylus Color II and an Epson Stylus Color 500 (which were roughly the same) before buying the HP Deskjet 720C and the HP Deskjet 840C (which were roughly the same as well). Yes, it was a while ago.

At that time, I noticed that the Epson printers were faster, especially to print photos and images. The HP printers were very slow to print images and photos, but were comparable to the Epson printers to print text (although I think the Epson was still faster). I don't remember which was more silent. The quality of Epson photos and images (and even text) was much superior thanks to the 720 dpi resolution (the HP had 300 dpi if I recall correctly). However, the color in the HP output seemed more vivid. The Epson output was water-resistent (to a certain point, of course), while the HP output would easily dissolve under water. This is what I remember.

The problem with the Epson printer was the print head. In both printers, the print head failed very quickly, and it had to be replaced, and it costed almost the price of the printer. This is the reason why I decided to switch to HP at the time, despite all the perceived advantage of the Epson printer.

Now, I would like to know what changed from back then. The last inkjet printer I bought was, what, 15 years ago. I need some advice now. Do things remain the same? How they are now? Which brand should I go for? Any of these particular printers is the one I should buy?

Thanks for the advice.

2. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

We have an Epson XP-700 and an HP 8100, both bought around 2 years ago.
    The Epson makes the best copies of colour items (it was bought esp for an art application) and handles card stock but is very expensive on ink. The HP does an OK job on colour but is fine on monochrome and is not that expensive on inks. The Epson is an all-in-one. This HP isn't an all-in-one but the last HP we had was. Ran fine but failed after 5 years.

We've had 4 HPs over the last 25 years and I would buy another one. They don't cost a lot for our usage (low). I do remember that their Win software was pretty awful but of course that doesn't worry us all (us enlightened Mac people !).

3. skaertus thread starter macrumors 68030

skaertus

Thanks for the input.

Anyone has any other impression on this?