On the peripherals of the (newest) Mac Pro...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by UnixSaysGo, Jan 15, 2012.

1. UnixSaysGo macrumors newbie

UnixSaysGo

As my first post on this forum (500 posts for an avatar? Damn.) I've decided to bother you with questions that Google didn't answer on the first page.

• Is the case full-tower or mid-tower?
    • What motherboard does it have?
    • Can you upgrade the processor as long as it has the same socket?
    • What is the PSU wattage, and is it 80+/Modular?

2. goMac macrumors 603

Not sure what you'd define as what. It has 4 hard drive bays (in addition to the optical drive bays) and 4 PCI Express slots. In terms of size it's closer to a full tower.

Intel motherboard designed exclusively for Apple. Can't be replaced, custom designed form factor, so it's not ATX or anything. It's nothing too exotic, but it's also not sold openly.

Yes.

I think it's 980w. Not modular.

3. UnixSaysGo thread starter macrumors newbie

UnixSaysGo

Damn, Apple could've easily went with a 800w as long as it was modular. This is why people whine about heat problems.

Thanks anyways.

4. goMac macrumors 603

Heat problems? Not sure whether you're referring to overheating or total heat output, but the Mac Pro has an exceptional cooling system. I've never heard of overheating of the entire machine. Mostly just overheating of defective NVidia GPUs.

For total heat, the machine gets a little toasty, but most of that is due to the GPUs and CPUs. When the machine is idle I don't get much heat out of it at all, it's only when I ramp up the GPU or something.