On vacation for new iPad launch--Need suggestions

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jekjones1558, Mar 7, 2012.

1. jekjones1558 macrumors 6502

It seems likely that I will not be at home when the new iPad is finally available (leaving soon). I want to order ASAP before inventories are out and the wait gets long. I remember ordering my iPhone 4 online for pickup at my local Apple Store. Even if that is an option this time, I don't remember how long a window there was to pick it up. Does anyone remember? I also don't remember from past online orders if there is a way to delay delivery or specify a delivery date (I don't think so). I hate to ask neighbors to be responsible for watching for a delivery. I don't know if having it delivered to our hotel would work. Is there a kind soul out there who might have experience to advise me? TIA

2. troop231 macrumors 603

What I would do is preorder it and specify an Apple store near where you are going on vacation for in-store pickup. (If preorders even happen this year)

3. poloponies macrumors 68030

If you've paid for it there is no "window" for pickup. You're entitled to the device once it's been set aside for you (and you should get a confirmation email) and you don't have to rush in to get it that day.

4. notjustgc macrumors 6502

Pre-order and get it shipped to a friend, neighbor or family member. Easy peasy.

5. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Last year there was no preorder for iPad 2. You had to go to a store and wait in line. BestBuy was surprisingly organized, with a WAY shorter line than the Apple Store. I got there 3 hours before they were selling them (they were allowed to sell at 5:30pm on launch day) and was 3 or 4 in line, it wasn't bad.

Maybe they'll allow preorders this year, but I doubt it. Could be wrong though :D

6. jekjones1558 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow! Such quick and helpful responses. I am not too optimistic about pre-orders, but maybe I will get lucky. Thanks, everyone! Other suggestions welcomed also.

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Why not? If you're uncertain then verify with the hotel. I've never had problems even shipping stuff to myself at a hotel.

8. nostresshere macrumors 68030

My history with hotels and shipments is sketchy. Besides, what if it is a few days later than planned and you have left?

As to reviewing how past shipments and events have taken place to base your current decision.... that can be real risky. Policies and rules change, often in a matter of minutes.