On whether or not to buy FCP6

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by zacn, Aug 12, 2008.

  1. zacn macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2008
    #1
    I am currently running FCP5 Academic Version. With the newer formats that only work with FCP6 I was wondering if it would be prudent to purchase it now (I would have to repurchase at the full price as I am no longer a student...should have done that from the start!). Are there any rumors that a FCP7 will be coming out anytime soon? If so, I'd rather wait and suffer for a bit because I really can't afford to upgrade twice. Thanks in advance.
     
  2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

    bigbossbmb

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2004
    Location:
    Pasadena/Hollywood
    #2
    There most likely won't be an update until NAB next April... so go ahead and buy.
     
  3. mtfield macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2008
    #3
    I'm in the same boat, but I've heard some rumors around in a few places that there will be an update to it with a next version of shake (phenomina) to be released by the end of this year.. U can read one of the threads I'm talking about over at the RED Scarlet forum. I know this goes against the typical nab release, but it's what I've heard and it sounded good.. I'd say if u can wait the 8 months till nab do it and maybe we'll get a pleasant surprise in October ;)
     
  4. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

    bigbossbmb

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2004
    Location:
    Pasadena/Hollywood
    #4
    i haven't seen a substantial rumor on "Phenomenon" in over a year. when shake was EOL'd the rumblings were "replacement by early 2008"...

    it's not coming back as a stand alone app... probably not even as a separate app in the studio... the features of shake have been migrating into FCP and Motion and will probably continue to do so. many shake users have already jumped ship to competing solutions.
     
  5. mtfield macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2008
    #5
    my apologies, my post last night was a little jumbled due to the late hour in which I wrote and also that it was types on my iPhone due to my computer having it's screen replaced at this moment. Let me try to clarify a bit. The rumblings I've heard have been recent (within the last couple of months) and yes what I heard said that the shake/motion combo would be included in FCS3.. I had just gotten used to the code name phenomenon and hadn't realized it was not being called that still. There is little proof to back up my end of Q4 update theory other then what I've heard from people who I feel are well informed.. Which was good enough to keep me waiting for the update. However, I do agree that it will without a doubt be introduced at nab '09 and can afford to wait that long if need be.. But I'm putting some stock in what i've heard and am hoping to get my hands on it before years end. I can't wait to dive in to this new compositing program! Hopefully it is a true AE killer.. And if the same price point is held... Then wow! That's all I have to say
     

Share This Page