On why Apple is "totally wrong"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jb007clone, Jul 2, 2010.

1. jb007clone macrumors 6502

jb007clone

The press release claiming signal strength is to blame makes no sense. Here's why:

People are able to replicate the problem and completely cease VOICE and DATA transmission in extremely HIGH signal areas.

Users standing in close proximity to Microcells

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsQpXY_TT9U
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K42FkKuKXYw

are able to replicate the problem.

Users standing UNDERNEATH cell towers are able to replicate the problem. (thanks again BB)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=10360373&postcount=925

The 3GS & 3G, although supposedly affected by the same bar display 'issue', has no problem connecting in these situations.

The only logically conclusion? The problem lies with the iPhone 4.

Low signal, or the way the signal is displayed, has nothing to do with the issue.

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Your argument does not support this conclusion.

Sorry, but that's simple logic. Just because you prove 'B' it has no bearing on whether or not 'A' is true.

In fact, Anandtech's review pointed to this 'bar-vs.-real-levels' problem before Apple's PR statement came out. They have tests and facts to show it.

You disagree with them and yet your only argument is that other problems also exist. So what? For you it's impossible for 2 problems to exist? If there's one there can't be another? Sorry, but that's not the way logic works.

3. jb007clone thread starter macrumors 6502

jb007clone

You're right, the iPhone 4 does have multiple reception issues. Signal attenuation, as pointed out in the anandtech review, is way worse. I'm glad they're going to fix how the bars are displayed. I wish they'd fix the more SERIOUS antenna flaw though.

Instead, they seem to be ignoring it and claiming that signal strength is the real culprit.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It depend on how you define "ignoring."

Did they come out and tell us what they're working on? No. So they're ignoring us when it comes to that.

But are they actually working on software fixes beyond what they told us today? Yes, I am certain they are. So they're not actually ignoring the issue itself.

So while I would like to know more for my own curiousity's sake, the fact is that the fix they come out with in a few weeks will certainly contain everything they can think of that might help this problem.

The fact that I don't know what that means is frustrating, but really has no bearing on the outcome.

5. jb007clone thread starter macrumors 6502

jb007clone

6. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

I read the Anandtech review and it confirms that the iPhone 4 is much worse at blocking a signal when you hold it than the 3GS. On the iPhone 4 it drops about 20 db when held naturally while the 3GS only drops about 2 DB. There is scientific proof holding the iPhone 4 drops the signal significantly more than on the 3GS.

7. cloudberrybrew macrumors regular

you're bad.

when the phone approaches a lower signal than previously (hold it in the lower left hand corner) the phone over compensates how much attenuation of the signal you actually have and panics and trys to switch frequencies...

software calibration issue.

8. jb007clone thread starter macrumors 6502

jb007clone

I get what you're saying, but my problem is that they are unwilling (so far) to acknowledge whatsoever that the antenna may be part of the problem. Again, I'm sure the update will help attenuation issues by more accurately reporting the signal strength, but problem(s) with the antenna are more than likely hardware. As pointed out, irrespective of signal strength, some users are able to touch the antenna in a certain spot and cease the phone to function.

My point, I'm sure At&t and Apple share some blame in this, however an update that more accurately displays signal does little to HELP signal.

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yep. I never said there wasn't.

10. Katanae macrumors member

I agree with OP, I just don't see how this supposed update could fix the death grip...

11. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Your solution if you don't believe Apple is to return the iPhone for a 100% refund and get something else. :eek: Now you can stop whining and move on. :D

12. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

13. Built macrumors 68020

I completely agree. People return items that are either not a good "fit," or which do not live up to expectations, EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Why do these people continue to torment themselves with a product that is so utterly objectionable to them?

DON'T LIKE IT? RETURN IT! THE END!

14. chembox macrumors 6502a

And pay a 15% restocking fee? No thanks.

15. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

No restocking fee. You will get a FULL refund. Seems like a no brainer that you should take it back.

16. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Great thread.

We have 2 iPhone 4's just bought and a Microcell. Both do the same exact thing. It's crazy. Not to mention unacceptable.

17. thep33t macrumors regular

I can take whatever phone you want, put it on speaker, put it in a Faraday cage, and BAM! no service, and i don't even have to touch it, must be EVERY cell phone having a design flaw...

18. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Return them then.

19. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Not a solution. :)

20. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Apple Derangement Syndrome...Look, I have sympathy for those having serious issues and are actually dropping calls and data connections. Nobody would be happy with that, but this thing has REALLY gotten out of control with some of the over the top ranting...Geeeez, this isn't like the Toyota/Lexus issues which were life and death concernng...
    The ones with the serious drops certainly have reason to rant...rant once, then, wait to see if the software fix works or return the phone for either a replacement or a full refund :rolleyes: