Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
On 1 Software just released their Photo 10 package. They changed the name from the previous Perfect Photos Suite. The UI is much better. The B&W module was integrated into Effect so you can use other filters on the B&W images. Resize is now part of the export routine were can resize, do canvas wrap...etc. It works as a plugin set for LR or PS. I think it will also still work as a plugin for the diehard Aperture users. It also works in standalone.

https://www.on1.com

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
On 1 Software just released their Photo 10 package. They changed the name from the previous Perfect Photos Suite. The UI is much better. The B&W module was integrated into Effect so you can use other filters on the B&W images. Resize is now part of the export routine were can resize, do canvas wrap...etc. It works as a plugin set for LR or PS. I think it will also still work as a plugin for the diehard Aperture users. It also works in standalone.

https://www.on1.com
I gave up on On1 a few years back. Mostly because I didn't like the UI and also because I bought LR and found I could do more with it.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Photo 10 is not a substitute for LR. It does not have a database-based catalog inside. It only has a simple browser. The browser is very quick for reviewing and culling files before you tell LR what to import. I use LR Develop Module to do all the basic edits. Then I send the image to Photo 10 if I need to do more than I can do with Develop Module or PS. Photo 10 is more a competitor to other plugins like the Nik Collection, Topaz Labs,.....etc.

stillcrazyman

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2014
Exile
I'm debating spending yet another $89 for an 'upgrade' to Photo 10. I've done two upgrades over the last few years with onOne. It's a fine set of tools, but I'm finding I use it less and less since moving to LR.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
LR Develop will do lots, especially if you have the CC 2015.2 version with Dehaze part of the local adjustment tools. But nothing in LR can touch things in Photo 10 Effects such as Dynamic Contrast. Much as to do with the kind of images you shoot and what you want to do. Personally I don't shoot people and never use the Photo 10 Portrait module.

stillcrazyman

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2014
Exile
I just upgraded to Photo 10. It seems like some improvements have been made to how quickly changes can be done. The UI is a bit different, but nothing too stressful. I need to get in and use it more...

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
One of the nice improvements, you can leave LR and to a module like Enhance. Then you can switch to any other module without saving back to LR. Before if you went to a given module, you may have had to come back to LR before going to another module. Having B&W inside of Effect is nice because you can now easily use Effect filters on a B&W image.

robo456

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2008
New Jersey
I'm debating spending yet another $89 for an 'upgrade' to Photo 10. I've done two upgrades over the last few years with onOne. It's a fine set of tools, but I'm finding I use it less and less since moving to LR.

I'm in the same boat... I'm currently at 9.5 and really haven't even used it much yet... 10 definitely looks like a big re-design, but 89$ is pretty pricey, especially since I did the 9.5 upgrade a few months ago! Last day to decide for the discount... :/

Reactions: phrehdd
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.