Once a doubter, now loving Face ID

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chupa Chupa, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Of all the new iPhone X features announced in Sep., Face ID was the one I was agnostic about. I thought it was a "work around" because they couldn't get Touch ID working under the glass. I didn't hate Face ID, I just didn't care about it one way or the other. What intrigued me about the X, as a 4.7" user, was the bigger screen size in similar size footprint and finally being able to have an optical zoom.

After using the X all weekend I keep thinking, Wow! this is the iPhone SJ would have loved to have experienced. You hardy have to bother with buttons at all. It's just look and swipe. Face ID is truly (IMHO) the best feature of this phone, though the screen and camera are great). It's sad this can't be demo'd well in-store because I think it's hard to understand how it makes using the phone that much more convenient.

I'd say to all the bashers who are doing so based solely on watching videos or reading about it -- try it out first. And Apple's version, not Samsungs. You wouldn't review a BMW having only driven an Audi would you? Then again maybe some here would.

Anyone else have this kind of Face ID moment -- go from not caring about Face ID to being excited about other Apple devices getting it? I'm starting to get a little "annoyed" with how "complicated" it is to open my iPad now. Ha!

2. DiveKitty macrumors 6502

Yes, I was perhaps also agnostic about Face ID. I love it! It is working great for me (even with toque, sunglasses, bright sunlight, dark, X flat on desk, X sort angled away, etc). I too was wishing it was on my iPad Mini this AM when I was using it at the gym!

3. lah macrumors 6502

agree. FaceID works extremely well. I'm very impressed. Just used it this morning with Apple Pay and it was seamless.

4. chicagofan00 macrumors regular

I wouldn't say that I didn't care about FaceID but I was intrigued at the tech and curious to see how it would work in real life after that little "fail" on stage during the keynote. However, after getting the phone on Friday I'm actually blown away at how well it works and the tech behind it all. It's a tad slower than TouchID but it's nothing that will deter me from it. It's worked flawlessly so far even if I've put on my sunglasses or if I've taken out my contacts and have my glasses on. The only time it's failed to recognize me was this morning right after I woke up and could barely open my eyes, which honestly is to be expected. I can't wait to see speed improvements on FaceID over the years.

5. cakebytheocean macrumors regular

I thought I was agnostic about the word agnostic but I actually like it a lot.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

It was a deal breaker for me but glad I changed my mind.

7. Appleloves22 macrumors 6502a

Appleloves22

Same. It was the one feature I was dreading. Now it’s one of the best things I like about the X.