Once again, the media is bumming me out.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by spiderman0616, May 3, 2015.

1. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I know it was like this with the 1st gen iPad and iPhone launches too, but the media is really killing my Apple Watch buzz, and I think they're being more brutal about it for this product than they ever have before.

After the first night of getting my watch configured, I was loving all the things it can do. I've had a really great weekend of NOT staring at my phone constantly, and it's all because of the Apple Watch.

Upon checking the news and some different sites this evening, it seems that the media has already declared this device a failure. And while it's common for the media to pick on Apple, and not my job to worry about it, I AM worried that this product has already been too panned to succeed. That would be a shame, because I'm loving it and I want there to be future iterations.

It seems like people try it for 10 minutes, write a pissy review, and then give up on it forever. Should Apple be getting out in front of this?

2. mantan macrumors 68000

Why in the world do you get 'bummed out' reading negative product reviews of a device you like?

If you like it, you like it- who cares what anybody else thinks about it.

3. discorevilo macrumors member

Unfortunately there is most probably nothing they can do- people are entitled to have their opinions and news agencies are entitled to selectively report on them.

I love my watch too!

4. dilap macrumors 6502a

Because a company that some of us love gets a bad reputation, and sometimes us users get things like "Oh your watch is so bad" or "I'm not getting that iPhone, it's so bad because it bends"

5. spiderman0616 thread starter macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

No, I don't care what people think per se--I just care because I want this product to continue to exist. If the media dumps on it enough and people don't buy it, there are no future Apple Watches. THAT would be a shame.

6. Joe1602 macrumors regular

I thought he explained that. He wants it to succeed so there will be future iterations. I understand that concern.

7. Swayne macrumors newbie

I was a little confused by all of the Reviews, too.. but now that I have it I have to admit that I love the watch. Battery life is far better than I expected and everything is running smooth (minor exceptions). I actually liked it faster than my other Apple Products!

8. GaresTaylan macrumors 6502a

You could always look at it this way - at least its getting media attention. How many other smartwatches have received this much media attention outside the normal tech blogs?

I really don't think this is that unreasonable. Apple is at a point now where they are going to get dragged through the mud no matter what unless they release a perfect product and even then you will still have people/media/blogs bitch.

9. Cuyler macrumors 6502

That's why as Apple Watch owners we need to let everyone know how we feel — we need to stand up for our watches (preferably once an hour).

10. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

As long as the demand and profit is there I'm sure it won't matter what the media says.

11. mantan macrumors 68000

The future of the Apple Watch is going to be based on sales and how customers view the device. Apple sold millions of watches on launch day and have a waiting list of people waiting for devices. While there are people waiting on the sidelines, they are going to be influenced more by feedback from people they know than anything they read on a website.

And hopefully some somewhat critical feedback will push Apple to make good changes for future versions.

12. amro macrumors 6502

Media dumped on the iPad, too. It survived.

13. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Do you not understand how success works? It works by media attention. It's a good thing that the AppleWatch receives negative press. If it were truly a bad product the media wouldn't even bother. Yes, SOME media news can be detrimental to a product (such as Windows 8), but that's because Windows is a high profile product that Microsoft keeps breaking their promises of improving.

The AppleWatch is a new product that hasn't even been out for a month and the media is all over it with "OPINIONS" not facts of it being a bad product. Besides, look at the company who makes it, APPLE. How often has Apple received negative press about their products and discontinued the product? Hardly. If anything they just kept improving it. The AppleTV got very bad press. People said it was totally useless. Now Google and multiple companies are making set-top boxes and SMART TV's are constantly adding content to compete with the set-top boxes.

14. solarguy17 macrumors 6502a

Wait, what.

Most of the reviews seem to be pretty positive. Saying stuff like:

"The Watch is the nicest smartwatch available..."
    "Maps works amazingly."
    "Well, it certainly keeps good time – plus or minus fifty milliseconds is pretty accurate."
    "In fact, even with the intensive use it’s had while I’ve been using it, the battery has never failed."
    "It radically alters the way I use my iPhone, in a good way."

Yes, there are some negatives, but mostly along the lines of
    "Apple Watch is not a fully-fledged iPhone replacement."
    "interface can be confusing; sometimes slow to communicate with a paired iPhone."
    "Lastly, a word about third-party Watch apps. I've only tried a handful of the over 3,000 available, but the ones I have used are buggy and slow."

What I see with the complaints is 2 things, something that can be fixed and something that can't.
    The interference will get better and faster as Apple releases OS updates, so no worried.
    The 3rd party apps will get better as people start developing for them. Remember most 3rd party developers didn't have a watch to test the actual programs on.
    As far as the watch not being a phone replacement. Well, that is clearly a choice as to whether or not you want that. I personally don't. I'm going to carry my phone regardless, I can't access Pages, games, Netflix etc on the Watch, nor would want to. The screen is to small and it would be pointless. For the most part, you will always have your phone when you have you watch. The exception I can think of would be if you are out exercising. It might be nice to have GPS on the Watch so you can leave your phone at home. But then again most people know their routes already so that really isn't a problem.

Don't get down because not everyone loves the Watch. It really matters if you love it.

----------

Also just because it gets bad reviews, doesn't mean the Watch is going away. The Samsung Gear 1 got terrible reviews. What did Samsung do? Did they scrap the whole idea and kill the line? No, they improved the device with the Gear2 and GearNeo and now GearS. Those watches are hands down better then the first Gear. They learned from their mistakes, and so will Apple.

15. Joe1602 macrumors regular

How do you know they sold millions? Everyone's just guessing at this point.

And you're kidding yourself if you don't think the media can influence public perception. Just look at antennagate, bendgate, Samsung violating patents, the VA hospital system, AT&T's network...just to name a few.

16. Robert M. macrumors 6502a

Robert M.

This won't be another iPad or iPhone situation. I wish people would stop bringing them up. The Apple Watch is a $350+ companion device. Apple will continue making them, but don't expect them to be a massive hit.

Smart watches have very little mainstream appeal. Everyone needs a phone, so seeing the iPhone succeed wasn't that shocking. The iPad is also a device that everyone could use. Since everyone basically needs Internet. For people who just surf the web and read emails, an iPad can replace a laptop.

The Apple Watch can't replace anything besides a fitness tracker or another smart watch.

That shouldn't stop you from enjoying it, though. Some of my favorite products of all time flopped. Who cares? Do you buy stuff to fit in or for your own enjoyment?

It's a geeky/niche product. Embrace it :)

17. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

Lol. If this was true, no Republican would ever be elected in America at any level, ever again. Ignore the media. Use your own, independent judgement and trust that. Anyone that thinks the media is truly "independent" and offers anything like an accurate judgement is just deluded.

The media - at any level and on any subject - are among the most biased purveyors of information around. Sorry, most media have an agenda and its up to you to know that prior to consuming any of their product.

18. spiderman0616 thread starter macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Again, it's not that what other people think affects my enjoyment of the product. What affects my enjoyment of the product is when it is dragged through the mud at launch, eventually causing Apple to give up on it.

Again, that's not something that's guaranteed one way or another. I'm just saying that it's a worry.

19. McDaddio macrumors 6502a

The media has long ago given up the idea of being journalists.
    Now more than ever, it is about getting clicks or views or money ("the two things in your freezer that can kill you immediately - tune in at 11 to learn what they are").
    They are 0.5 steps above buzzfeed.

So ignore them.
    No reason for them to bum you out when you know who they are.

20. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Hey, at least the Apple watches aren't getting the same press all the Android watches are..... NONE!

21. McCool71 macrumors 6502a

To be honest, most reviews of smartwatches before Apple Watch was also like that. If you believe that the Apple Watch gets a raw deal in reviews just look at some of the trashing several other smartwatches (some good, some bad) got last year. Lots of the reviews focused mainly on how utterly useless the device was because it only lasted 24-36 hours before it had to be charged. And they for some sick reason compared the smartwatches to regular watches in that regard even though the two types of devices have really nothing in common except that they are worn on the wrist.

In the end smartwatches are devices that lots of reviewers simply do not see as useful. For a lot of people though, it is a device that will grow on you if you give it enough time and actually use it instead of fiddling around with it an hour or two before making your mind up.

22. HelloMikee macrumors 6502a

HelloMikee

A lot of those media reviews are BS in my opinion. It's like they're actively trying to use all the functions of the watch over just living with it. People are way overthinking this.

First and foremost, it's a wearable fashion piece. Let's not forget that a watch is jewelry.

Second, software updates will iron out any kinks... It's just going to get better from here.

Third, let's let sales do the talking.

23. solarguy17 macrumors 6502a

Can it replace a fitness tracker, yes. But is that the main reason people are buying it, no.

Can it replace anther smart watch, yes. But so far many smart watches have been specific to certain OSes. Android Wear specific for Android phones, MS Band only working on WinPhone8. etc.
    The exception being of course Pebble.

But you have missed the other 2 things it can replace.

1. Standard watches. If you look through this forum, you will find many people with conventional watches ordering the :apple:W and being worried the AW will be so awesome they will stop wearing their Rolex. With some even saying that they haven't even touched there $1K+ dumb watches since receiving their AWSport.
    Not everyone that has a dumb watch will replace it with an AW, but lots of people are.

2. Nothing. Again look through the forum, you will find many people that have never worn a watch (or worn one for awhile) that have ordered a AW. Because now they find a point for a Watch.

24. Uccle macrumors regular

The longer I'm using the watch (ok...not terribly long), the more I too am hoping it becomes relatively mainstream and that apple keeps it in its product mix.

I was so psyched about the first iPhone and I loved it from the get go. I was cautious about the watch but I am now more enthusiastic about it than any other product except the iPhone.

I love Apple pay, notifications, walking directions and workout results (although all this I hope will improve in years to come). I finally get why they call it personal (although the phrase still makes me gag) and that is because how you use it is totally personal and it is very hard to show somebody else how they might find it useful.

I'm not an apple zealot (many tech items I own including my desktop are not apple). But I am finding the watch delightful (yea..gag...but true ;-) ).

25. camaroIOM macrumors 6502

I could care less if another version comes out this one does everything I need for it to do