Once and for all...does having auto brightness off help battery life?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Game 161, Sep 18, 2011.

1. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

I have it off but generally does having it off help your battery life and does the same apply for the ipad as well? As it was mentioned in the ipad forum.

2. leebroath macrumors 6502

leebroath

Yes 100%

The phone is obviously having to power a certain function to auto correct the brightness

Switching this off the phone doesn't have to use any power to control anything

So yes I would say it would use up more power, how much is a grey area

It's not going to be that much imo

3. ap3604 macrumors 68000

If I have auto brightness turned off and have my brightness at 25% even when I am outdoors...

While you have auto brightness turned on and the auto brightness bumps the brightness to 80% while outdoors...

Which one of us is going to have longer battery life?

4. kingdLo macrumors 6502

But it also dims it down too, so it works both ways

5. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

It depends on if he goes outside / takes his phone out while outside) or anywhere that causes his screen to brighten.

The brightness of the screen determines current drawn on the battery (battery life).

6. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Exactly my point ;)

OP asked a silly question that really just depends on how he, personally, uses his device and if he is in a bright environment or not. No one else can answer this for him...

7. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

It's not a silly question at all when quite a few have asked the same thing.

When inside and using your phone inside...not outside it is a fair question. Which is why it was brought up by others.

8. rruben macrumors member

Turning on auto-brightness reduces your battery life compared to when you put it on the minimum with auto-brightness off.

Right?